iPhone - not happy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HasanDaddy, Oct 26, 2008.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I've been a LONG time Apple user and proud, as I've edited many movies on FCP among other activities

As of now, I'm very upset with the iPhone 3G --- the features and apps are awesome, but the problem is that this phone LAGS way too much

I am currently on 2.1 and I've noticed lagging throughout all updates

It takes minutes to switch from one application to another, and just hitting 'REPLY' to send an email can sometimes cause the reply message to take 30 to 60 secs to show up

Overall, these iPhones clearly have inferior processors and I'm upset --- I've had a Blackberry and Treo in the past, and while they're clearly worse phones, at least they are fast enough to send emails and switch apps --- let's not kid ourselves hardcore Apple fans ---- the iPhone is SLOW

what does it take to put a better processor in these things Apple??

Overall, is anyone else frustrated by the lagging problems, especially those who have owned Treos or Blackberrys in the past???

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Minutes?
    My iPhone lags as well… but minutes? :confused:

Something is obviously very wrong with your iphone. Have it seen to.

3. Aurial macrumors 6502

mine lags an annoying ammount too. The problem isn't the speed of the processor though, as it's actually quite fast for a phone. The problem is with Apples bloatware firmware. I sometimes get low memory warnings when opening apps like Arora Feint.

The OS is just horribly un-optimized and very unstable. Jeremy Clarkson wrote publically yesterday in the Sun newspaper about how he was getting rid of his iPhone because it was useless.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Oh yea ... it's a useless piece of crap ... everyone hates them ... just trash yours .. or send it to me and I will take care of it for you ;)

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

From reading different reports it seems like the performance of 2.1 is WORSE on an iPhone 3G than 2.1 on an older first generation iPhone.

I've got a first generation iPhone running 2.1 and there is hardly any lag whatsoever.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

All my iPhones have been snippity-snappy. You need to perform a serious restore as new iPhone.

7. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I've got to agree that the iPhone is way too slow. The software just needs to be optimized. Sending a text message for me is the worst - sometimes the typing keys are so unresponsive it can take ten minutes to type a simple text message

I think the route for Apple is to fully update the software and to stop worrying about locking the iPhone down. Other than the responsivity, I'm happy with my iPhone.

8. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

A good test is to see how long it takes for the camera app to load,from when u press it. Mine is 13 seconds, UNACCEPTABLE

9. saracen macrumors member

No, what he actually said was that he was that the phone was killed in an accident. And he put the problems he was having with it down to the fact that he was a clumsy oaf.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/clarkson/article1854368.ece

10. Chef-Jer macrumors member

I used a stop watch and did 5 trials on my black 16g running 2.1 - averaged 3.2 seconds.

11. edrex macrumors member

My phone does not lag at all. If the problem was with the processor don't you think everyones phone would lag like yours? Use some common sense here.

As for opening camera, mine takes just under 4 seconds to go from pressing the button to being able to take a picture. ACCEPTABLE.

12. theLastBeatle macrumors member

While I do believe the original Poster is having problems, it's hard to believe
    They haven't taken the phone back to get it replaced.

I can say from experience that not all iPhone's have that problem. If my phone is unresponsive, I'ts seconds not minutes. I heard that if you have a lot of apps it can slow performance. I have fourteen third party apps on my phone.

It's funny cause before they released apps for the iPhone Steve Jobs said it's a stability issue. Apple is serious about not letting third party apps ruin the iPhone experience so if your having problems, return it and let them set you up with a proper iPhone.

Try a restore, or a simpler solution, weed out some of the apps that you don't use. Also I heard that restarting your phone (though I rarely do) will prevent some problems.

The camera app took three seconds to load and I typed this post in under two minutes (approximately, point being the phone didn't slow me down)

Edit: well two minutes to type but I had to go back and edit.

13. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Sometimes mine lags when typing in boxes, erasing text, and sending texts.

When it lags I have to restart the springboard by holding down the home button.

Bring it to AT&T and just have them look at it and if they want they will replace it. As simple as that :)

14. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you got a defective unit. Take it back for a replacement.

15. icewing macrumors 6502

All you folks that are having lagging problems, have you "rebooted" your phone recently? (Hold down Power switch until you see "slide to power off", wait a few seconds, then power it back on). That always clears things up for me...it's a small inconvenience until Apple gets this fixed, that should make things "snappier" for you again.

16. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay - so after reading, I deleted a TON of 3rd party apps that I downloaded - the phone works much better

I'm still disappointed with lag, but deleting the unnecessary apps clearly makes the phone faster

I would still like to see a much faster processor though ---- I think Blackberrys and Treos work much faster and Apple really needs to address that

17. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

and thank you to everyone for the tips on deleting apps!