iPhone not jailbroken?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jamescwarren, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi, I have searched the forums but no one seems to have the same problem as me. I have a 16 GB 1.1.3 OOTB iPhone. I first unlocked it with ZiPhone 2.4, and have since upgraded to 1.1.4 using ZiPhone 2.6. I have downloaded the NES application from Installer and it tells me where to upload the files. The problem is that whenever I use iFuntastic or iNdependence, they always tell me that I need to jailbreak it using their application. But I've already unlocked and jailbroken my iPhone using ZiPhone. Is this happening because I haven't installed OpenSSH? If it is, and I end up needing to install it, can I uninstall it if I want? Will it do anything like affect battery life? I've heard it can. Thanks.

2. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

3. spinstorm macrumors 68000

In order to transfer the files using Independence it needs to see the iPhone as jailbreaked AND use SSH.

Independence uses AFC2 to tell if an iPhone is Jailbreaked.

ZiPhone uses AFC (bog standard crappy version lol) so Independence does NOT see it as jailbroken.

Solution?

You can simply re-jailbreak using Indpendence - just click on "Jailbreak" NOTHING ELSE...

It won't mess with any of your settings or anything you already did but now it will show up as jailbroken!

SSH is NOT anything to do with this - so don't worry but if you did install it it would drain your battery unless you used a app like netservices or bossprefs to turn off SSH when it is not being used.

However! SSH is needed to transfer the files over to your phone - so in order to use either of those programmes you will need to jailbreak using Independence THEN install SSH! (you can use the independence version which you can remove using ONLY independence and that will NOT show up in installer - or the installer version which can be removed from within installer).

Of course should you have any issues I would suggest you restore and re-jailbreak using Independence - your unlock will remain (as the baseband won't change) but by using JUST independence it will make sure it all works great although you would have to manually add Installer to your phone.

Having said all this - if you ONLY jailbreak in Independence then it will see it as jailbroken and then if you install SSH you can transfer the files.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There is a version of Open SSH that does not affect battery life, unless you are specifically using it. Check the more info to make sure you are installing the proper one.

8 months down the road and I get 5 hours of video playback, which tells me SSH isn't hitting my battery.