iPhone not listed in devices, is that normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by b1zz, Aug 30, 2010.

1. b1zz macrumors newbie

I'm fairly new to Macs, just got an iMac. So I'm working on getting everything transferred over and set up. I got my iTunes library working and I can sync my iPhone 4 and my iPod Nano 5g just fine. When I hook up my iPod its icon appears on the Desktop and I can explore it with Finder and copy/delete any videos that I've shot with it. The iPod also shows up on the left side of the Finder window in the Devices area. Now when I connect my iPhone it does NOT show up here and it seems like I must sync any photos or videos I have on my iPhone into iPhoto or Aperture. I would think it should show up in the Devices list and on the Desktop too but it doesn't. This seems funky to me but it does sync with iTunes fine. Is this normal? I just don't know if this is how it's supposed to be since I'm a Mac newbie. Is there a way to explore the iPhone through Finder to manage and copy the files? TIA!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's normal, since the iPhone can't be used as storage device and accessed via Finder.

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Amazing, ain't it? To regain some of the functionality you've come to expect, give Macroplant's Phone Disk a try. They're even offering it for free till 12/01. Works perfectly and does exactly what you (and I) want...
    http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk

4. b1zz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid it was normal since it synced with iTunes fine. I can't believe they give you less freedom with your data than you have accessing it though Windows... I'm gonna check that program out. Thanks!