iPhone not merging e-mails with Apple Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Apple!Fre@k, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

I thought iPhone is supposed to merge the e-mails on it with those in your Apple Mail on your Mac when plugged in to sync. Why is it not doing this for me? I responded to an e-mail on my iPhone, then synced it up with my iMac and it doesn't show the e-mail I sent in my sent box in Apple Mail. I quit Apple Mail and reopened and still nothing. There is no way I'm going to settle for the e-mails I receive on my iPhone being stuck there. Part of the reason I got this phone is because I thought it would work seamlessly with Apple Mail and transfer over all my e-mails received on my iPhone into the Apple Mail on my iMac when connected. What's the story??!?!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

What email service do you use? If it's IMAP based (like .Mac or Yahoo), then when the iPhone sends email, it should put a copy in the Sent folder that's on the server.

3. z400central macrumors regular

I am having the same issue on my own personal POP3 account.

4. freeflydrew macrumors member

on imap, it will receive emails from this point forward... on pop, it will receive all emails on your email server.

Syncing email accounts really meant the account setups, not every email that you have in your mail.app folders

5. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. BobbyDigital macrumors member

I just hope apple will sync with Mail.app eventually. It will make the phone's integration with the OS more seamless. It seems dumb not to have it sync with their own mail application. Right now POP email is just working like every other phone on the market, which sucks in my opinion.

7. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

It sucks indeed. Makes me want to turn off the e-mail feature on my iPhone. In fact, that might be the last straw for me. If I can't have e-mail on my phone, my iPhone goes back to Apple. :mad:

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

POP was not designed to manage one email account from multiple devices, and asking Apple to magically be able to sync what you've POPed to your phone with what you've POPed into Mail.app isn't nearly as straight-forward as it sounds. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

9. BobbyDigital macrumors member

Yeah I know, I was just hoping Apple would do something amazing with the email integration... I guess my hopes were too high