Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
I thought iPhone is supposed to merge the e-mails on it with those in your Apple Mail on your Mac when plugged in to sync. Why is it not doing this for me? I responded to an e-mail on my iPhone, then synced it up with my iMac and it doesn't show the e-mail I sent in my sent box in Apple Mail. I quit Apple Mail and reopened and still nothing. There is no way I'm going to settle for the e-mails I receive on my iPhone being stuck there. Part of the reason I got this phone is because I thought it would work seamlessly with Apple Mail and transfer over all my e-mails received on my iPhone into the Apple Mail on my iMac when connected. What's the story??!?!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What email service do you use? If it's IMAP based (like .Mac or Yahoo), then when the iPhone sends email, it should put a copy in the Sent folder that's on the server.

freeflydrew

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2004
ny
on imap, it will receive emails from this point forward... on pop, it will receive all emails on your email server.

Syncing email accounts really meant the account setups, not every email that you have in your mail.app folders

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
on imap, it will receive emails from this point forward... on pop, it will receive all emails on your email server.

Syncing email accounts really meant the account setups, not every email that you have in your mail.app folders

I just hope apple will sync with Mail.app eventually. It will make the phone's integration with the OS more seamless. It seems dumb not to have it sync with their own mail application. Right now POP email is just working like every other phone on the market, which sucks in my opinion.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
I just hope apple will sync with Mail.app eventually. It will make the phone's integration with the OS more seamless. It seems dumb not to have it sync with their own mail application. Right now POP email is just working like every other phone on the market, which sucks in my opinion.

It sucks indeed. Makes me want to turn off the e-mail feature on my iPhone. In fact, that might be the last straw for me. If I can't have e-mail on my phone, my iPhone goes back to Apple. :mad:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
POP was not designed to manage one email account from multiple devices, and asking Apple to magically be able to sync what you've POPed to your phone with what you've POPed into Mail.app isn't nearly as straight-forward as it sounds. :(

The fundamental difference between POP3 and IMAP4 is that POP3 offers access to a mail drop; the mail exists on the server until it is collected by the client. Even if the client leaves some or all messages on the server, the client's message store is considered authoritative. In contrast, IMAP4 offers access to the mail store; the client may store local copies of the messages, but these are considered to be a temporary cache; the server's store is authoritative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
POP was not designed to manage one email account from multiple devices, and asking Apple to magically be able to sync what you've POPed to your phone with what you've POPed into Mail.app isn't nearly as straight-forward as it sounds. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

Yeah I know, I was just hoping Apple would do something amazing with the email integration... I guess my hopes were too high

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.