iPhone not recognized in iTunes...help! (3GS & Macbook)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by levity03, Dec 27, 2012.

1. levity03 macrumors newbie

Hi..I'm in a bit of a predicament, I think.

I have an iPhone 3GS and a black Macbook (2007?) - my iPhone is not recognized in my iTunes because it's an older version of iTunes, but I'm not able to update my iTunes any further because I have an old operating system...like a catch-22!

Is there any way around this? I'd like to put some music on my iPhone, save contacts, etc.

Help!

Max

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

What, are you using 10.4 or something?
    Anyways... unless you upgrade, I guess you can try "3rd party" options to iTunes management, such as iFunBox or DiskAid.
    The latter is paid (not sure if the music sync goes either way or just iDevice -> Computer) and I don't know about system requirements for either, which would be again a Catch-22 for ya (but you can always try getting an old version).

Another option would be iExplorer or Transpod.

I think I've used them all over the years but more from a "file explorer" and "My iTunes Backup and Library is gone, need to get the settings and music out!!!" perspective.
    Don't know which currently will do Mac to iDevice sync, as I said before. I think all of them will allow a contact backup.

And a quick peek on their homepages means they require 10.5 or up, so you might be SoL.

I know you have your ancient MacBook, and maybe not money nor budget for a new one and don't wanna upgrade OS X (or maybe can't?)... but it comes a time when it's time to catch up with times.

3. levity03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, I'll check those options out.

I see no need to spend hundreds of dollars on a new computer if this one works fine...only for the sake of putting some songs on my iPhone. Pretty silly logic to me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...right?

Anyway, thanks again.

Max

I have 10.5.7, btw...with this OS, I'm not able to update to the latest iTunes, unfortunately.

4. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Of course not, you're right in that "if it ain't broken why fix it" and I assume then, you don't have the need for more "horse power" in your current setup (which is an odd situation but happens anyway).

Say, what version of iTunes do you have?

Check out here, and see if you can install an old version (>=2009), which should support the 3GS.
    Basically, iTunes 9.1.1 requires 10.4 or latter, and iTunes 10.3.1 requires 10.5 or latter.

I could be missing something of course, unless you tell me that you didn't update iTunes in 3 years or so!!! :D