iPhone Not Seeing Apple Watch...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ShawnTXDFW, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ShawnTXDFW macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

I'm having issues with my iPhone seeing my Apple Watch. Just recently I updated to iOS 9 beta 2, and apple watch OS beta 2. I wanted to downgrade my phone to 8.4 and that failed because apple quit signing 8.3 So I had to restore my iPhone as a new phone, install everything new again, and when I fire up the watch app, it's acting like I have to pair it all over again. It don't see the watch period.

Now, I'm no developer, I just downloaded the betas that were put out to the public so this might've been a mistake on my end. I realize I can get this to an Apple Store and pay to have it flashed back to 1.0.1 but I'd rather not. The watch works, obviously as a watch, but nothing else at the moment. Just has that disconnected icon at the top. I think somewhere along the way of downgrading, and it not being able to restore to a backup that I had installed because it was on 8.3 is where the hiccup came into play. I might be on the crap end of the stick here, and that might be OK.

I might just have to wait until the official watch OS comes out, and see if at that point I can install it and maybe do a watch reset to where the phone can see it. Since there really is no other way to get the watch back to it's original settings (other than having to pay, and lord knows how much that will cost) so I can start all over again I'm not really sure what to do. Do any of you think that if I were to wait for the public OS's that I might be able to get this all fixed? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I have IOS 8.4 on my iPhone 6, and 1.0.1 on my :apple: Watch Sport. I had the same problem this last Saturday and spent quite a bit of time with a Sr. Apple rep trying to fix it. You can find my Thread on here to read the whole thing.

However, what fixed it was to do a hard boot on the iPhone. The watch and the phone paired on the first try after that and have been just fine since.

3. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

You cannot downgrade an Apple Watch, so your watch is at B2.
    You can/did downgrade your iPhone, so it's at 8.4

Right?

I don't think 8.4 & WOS2 beta can talk with each other (at least not correctly) so you'll probably need to maintain the same version point, at the minimum, and should just in general. Feel free to correct me, someone, but you should have an 8.x -> WOS1 and 9.x -> WOS2

But before, you could try resetting all content and settings on your watch and see if that prompt it to search for a new connection partner.

Edit: You could try re-upgrading your phone to a beta 9 copy.

4. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Not directed towards OP as he knows the risks (mentioned not being a developer/etc).

But I really hope others take this example (and many others) of why you should never install beta releases on any main iPhone or Apple Watch you depend on working correctly. Not to mention it voids any Apple Care/Support normal users would receive.

There's a reason a public beta of watchOS 2 is not available. Even public betas shouldn't be used unless you don't rely on your device or care about any of the info stored on it.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

6. ShawnTXDFW thread starter macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

I know it requires OS9. And I realized the risk of installing a beta. My question is once the public release comes out will I be able to reset the watch so the phone can see it?! As of right now I'm probably stuck until the public release. It's asking me to pair a watch that was already paired to begin with. So basically if have to start all over again. Which is ok with me.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

WatchOS Beta 2 requires iOS 9. It won't pair with iOS 8.x

Also, WatchOS 2.0 Beta is not a public release.

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm going to have to guess but my guess is yes, it should work since it meets the OS requirement. No idea if you will have issues otherwise but that at least would be covered.

9. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'm going to say no, just as handoff didn't work across random betas of iOS 8, Bluetooth connected devices probably need to have the same "signature" to connect to each other correctly.

Just take it to Apple Store and send it in, or upgrade your phone, it seems silly to wait until fall for information no one could be sure of until then.

10. ShawnTXDFW thread starter macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

Chatted with an Apple rep and they will reset it for free. The box will be here in 1-2 days and it will come back in about 3-5 business days. I was honest with them and let them know I installed the config file as a non-developer and updated the watch to watch OS 2.0 beta 2. That's what happens when you can't wait for new software. You learn from your mistakes. So hopefully this will solve my problem. As stated I knew the risk. Appreciate the feedback. Thank you.