iPhone not syncing contacts through iTunes 10.5 beat 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samtara, Jul 26, 2011.

1. samtara macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

I'm having a big problem with my contact syncing. I select either 'outlook', 'google' or 'windows contacts' and it starts syncing and it supposedly does it fine without any error messages. But the contacts aren't there.

Everything else syncs fine. iTunes does however say 'unable to connect to sync services' or something along those lines maybe 1 in every 7 starts of the program. Dunno if thats related at all.

Also, I'm using mobileme if that's any use to anyone.

My goal is to just get my contacts from the phone to the computer for basically one time only. Obviously syncing would be better.
    One last thing. I tried to install mobileme control panel and it said that it needed mobile device support 3.0. I just assumed that it referred to me having a beta itunes. What does everyone think?

thanks

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

On Beta you should use the iCloud Control panel, which you can get via the Dev site. Set up your iCloud through settings.

3. wvphysics macrumors regular

Mobileme is dead, or at least limping along until icloud is released. As the above poster stated, you will want to instal the icloud control panel and use that. You will need to migrate you mobileme data at some point.

4. samtara thread starter macrumors newbie

So i would have to install icloud and make a new icloud account? then what would happen to that when i want to merge my mobileme stuff later? do i just stop using it?

5. wvphysics macrumors regular

When you installed the iOS beta it should have asked you to setup an iCloud account. If you didn't I think you can go into settings and do it. If you have a mobileme account there is a way to migrate the data. I am not sure if the process is setup yet or not, I do not have a mobileme account but I have seen posts on here discuss what to do with icloud if you have one.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Once iCloud goes fully live you should be able to Merge the two accounts together using your Apple ID. For now I'd recommend setting up your MobileMe account on your iPhone then setting up an iCloud. When I did this I had the option to merge several different things and then sync them to the cloud, including Contacts.

7. samtara, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

samtara thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd rather not open a new account since mobileme is working fine in terms of syncing OTA

I just want to know why the iPhone isn't sycning my contacts over a wired connection and says it does? Everything else syncs fine

8. samtara thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE

So I went ahead and got icloud. Still the same problem. I have installed the icloud control panel and it says it is backing up my contacts to outlook and says it has done it successfully, but there are no contacts in outlook!

Really need some help here please.