iPhone not syncing videos from Aperture

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by soLoredd, Jun 29, 2011.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Hey all, I'm having a problem getting videos from my Aperture library to my iPhone. It seems Aperture is randomly picking what videos will sync - even ones previously taken with my iPhone 4.

For example, I have a project titled 'Marshall'. Aperture is showing 647 items in the project (photos/videos). iTunes is showing 606 - even with 'Include Videos' checked. So, I went ahead and did the sync and ran through each item looking to see what wasn't syncing. All of the items that didn't sync were videos but there is no rhyme or reason as to why (resolution is the same, FPS is the same, video device is the same).

I've tried everything I can think of to remedy this. I restored my phone, repaired/rebuilt the Aperture library, deleted iPod Photo Cache folder, etc. Anyone else having similar problems? This is a rather big deal because what would be the point of saving videos from my phone if I can't get them back on there?!

Any help or insight would be great.

2. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I came up with a solution for anyone who is in the same boat. Before I found the solution, I did try to export everything over to iPhoto but had the same problem - a high number of videos would not sync over. There's obviously an issue with iLife sharing...

Anyway, what I did was go to my Aperture Library (in the app) and filter everything down to file type>video. I then exported all of them out to a 'Videos' folder in user>Movies. I then deleted every single one from my Aperture library and then re-imported using a referenced system as opposed to managed. Created a new project in Aperture called 'Videos' and it showed I had 66 videos. Went to iTunes to setup the sync using the project and it showed it would sync 66 videos, and it did. So, not the best solution but it works.

Hopefully, Apple can sort this out but using google it looks like this problem has been around for well over a year (both Aperture and iPhoto having problems like this). So, I'm thinking it lies in the way the iLife sharing system works but what I can't explain is why the videos sync perfectly when in a separate folder than my Aperture or iPhoto library.