Iphone not updating (in limbo)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Derkatwork, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Hi, my iphone 4 is jailbroken and I decided to update it to the current ios (from 4.x to current). Itunes claims it is 99% on its "updating iphone software" loading bar. The phone itself has a halfway loading bar. I don't want to brick it by pulling the cord, but it is not noticeably loading. The progress bars have been stationary for a good while to the point I'm getting nervous. Any advice?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

how long is a good while?

3. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

An hour since I started paying attention. I called my local apple store and told the above story (removing the jailbreak item), and was instructed that pulling the plug or canceling the item in itunes would be fine.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Unplug it. It will probably be stuck on the Apple screen and progress bar. Hold the sleep button and home button until the screen goes blank. Plug the phone back in and put it in DFU mode. Restore with iTunes.

5. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Great! Keep us updated. :D

7. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I am noticing that the restoration loading bar (on the mac and iphone) is stopping in the same spot, only now itunes says "restoring iphone software". Any ideas?

8. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Alright, I'm in a mess with selling said iphone. Is this the "bricked" condition? The restoration loading bars don't go past a certain point. My panic is from the fact I'm shipping this phone to a customer who paid already, and I would rather not ship a defective unit. Thanks for the help.