iPhone notes and mail.app: syncing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lordthistle, Jan 10, 2010.

1. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I need your help about a sync problem I have between my iPhone and Mail.app on my Snow Leopard MBP. Everything is up-to-date.

On the iPhone I have:
    [1] a xxx@gmail.com IMAP eMail address associated to my iTunes account.
    [2] a xxx@there.it EXCHANGE eMail address set as default on my iPhone and on my MBP.
    [3] a xxx@yahoo.it POP mail address.
    [4] other service accounts.

In Mail.app I have all of the accounts I have on the iPhone.

I enabled 'Notes syncing' in iTunes but the notes are synced with the third account xxx@yahoo.it. I do not understand the reason why they are not synced with the default or the iTunes mail accounts. Are notes synced only with POP accounts?

I did not find any hint on how I might solve this problem and have the notes synced with an eMail address I choose. Do I need POP accounts to sync notes? If I set up a second POP account, will I be able to select the account to sync the Notes with?

Any idea?

Thanks.
    thistle

2. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

3. AllenKenya macrumors newbie

iPhone notes and mail.app syncing

I have a similar question. I just started synching my iPhone notes to Mail and they now show up in multiple places:

• the overall Inbox as well as
    • the specific Inbox for every POP account I have as well as
    • the Notes folder in the Reminders folder

Perhaps if I change the "Composing:Create notes and to dos in:" preference to "Mac.com", then they would only show up in the overall Inbox, the Mac.com IMAP Inbox, and the Notes folder. However, I really don't care to have them show up in any Inbox -- I'd rather they only show up in "Notes". I tried to set a Rule that would do that but it churned away and didn't do anything.

I can drag a note to a specific folder and it will then not show up in any Inbox or in the Notes. I can copy a notes to a specific folder and it will still show up in all the above and the specific folder.

I'd like more control over how Synched notes are handled but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Look at Mail->Preferences->Composing

What does it say under "Create notes and to dos in"?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

How about Mail->Preferences->Accounts->Mailbox Behaviors. Uncheck "Show notes in Inbox"

6. lordthistle thread starter macrumors 6502

It says "Account of selected mailbox" (as I would like to keep, but anyway...). I will change it and see how it affects the iPhone's behaviour.

Thanks for your reply.
    thistle

7. AllenKenya macrumors newbie

Thanks. I should have looked there. I had to uncheck "Show notes in Inbox" for every account but it worked like a charm -- my notes only show up in the Notes "folder" just like I wanted. It would be nice if Apple incorporated a Notes preference and probably a To Do preference as well so that the user could more easily handle Notes and To Dos -- but maybe not.