Iphone - o2 edge :S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thesheephair, Dec 10, 2007.

1. thesheephair macrumors member

Got myself an iphone at last !

However, i unlocked it successfully after buying from apple shop uk, downgrade to 1.1.1 then up to 1.1.2 .

Now i slipped in a brand new o2 payg sim card to see if it works, when i go to networks i cant see the word edge to set it up, all i see is VPN or WI FI. Is this normal ????

ive ordered my o2 contract and should be coming soon it comes with data bundle with it , when i pop in my contract sim will edge appear in networks then???

Very confusing post i apologise, basically why isnt my edge settings availble in network?

2. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

i dont think the UK iphones have Edge settings available in network. not sure if this is a UK or a 1.1.2 thing.

edit: i think the way to get the settings is to go to sim applications>get settings
    (at least this is the only way that i cans see to get edge settings for the uk from o2)

3. thesheephair thread starter macrumors member

Either im being incredibily stupid or am very tired but whats sim applications>get settings

4. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

cant find it exactly now because im out of battery and cba to get the cables. but its in settings i think under sim or general or something, and then you can select applications, or just choose 'get settings', sorry for the vagueness, ill try to post a bit later with the exact path

5. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

settings>phone>sim applications>get settings

if this fails i suggest phoning o2

make sure data roaming is on too - mine came with the default as off

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

EDGE is not available on O2 PAYG. It should work when you use the contract sim that you are expecting.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

there is no place in settings to enter the GPRS/EDGE settings. you have to change the files in the phone: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=383315.

as cd3660 says, even though o2 say its available, you won't actually get EDGE speeds on pay and go ... only GPRS speeds.

8. thesheephair thread starter macrumors member

interesting however the reality of my question is ,

1. is this due to the sim card ive put in , if so if i put in contract the settings will come up.
    2. is this due to my phone therefore need to alter iphone files.

Im guessing its just coz i put a payg sim card in that isn't topped up.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its due to the 1.1.2 firmware which hides EDGE settings from the phone. Regardless of sim or tariff you will not see EDGE settings in 1.1.2