iPhone O2 Exclusive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JavaWizKid, Jun 6, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Will O2 still be the exclusive carrier in the UK for the new iPhone or is Apple going to broaden their horizons and let other carriers have it?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. yoavcs macrumors regular

Oh come now, I am sure Steve Jobs and whoever is in charge of negotiations with carriers is in the know. I bet Tim Cook too.

4. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I thought contracts had been signed and all that. I am pretty sure apple could not pull out if these contracts. The networks paid alot for the rights. And for some reason I am pretty sure O2 have exclusivity until at least 2010. So if that is correct (someone shout if it isn't) then the iPhone will still be exclusive.

5. Que macrumors 6502

shout.

i've read that although o2 are still contracted to be an iphone supplier (until 2010?) in the uk, there is a stipulation in the contract that states that (if they choose to) apple can give the iphone to other carriers after 2 years exclusivity (now).

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually its November as the iPhone was US only at the beginning.

I thought that was obvious :p.

7. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Cheers for the shout. Interesting.

I guess we will have to wait as see then. Which seems to be the answer for most threads on here.

I am with O2, but non-exclusivity could be a very good thing. I would stay with O2, as I have always been with them. But competition is never a bad thing. Would apple have to pay compensation for removing exclusivity? I am pretty sure at&t, o2 etc would not appreciate it and want something back. Unless they paid for 2 years exclusivity? (I don't think they did).