iPhone - O2 sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roscoeuk1982, Mar 12, 2009.

1. roscoeuk1982 macrumors newbie

Hi there

Never used a iPhone before so be kind!

I currently have a sim only deal with O2. Basically I pay £20 a month and it comes with an unlimited web bolt on.

I now have the opportunity to purchase a second hand 3G 8gb iPhone currently locked to O2.

My question is can I simply plug the sim card into the iPhone and will my web add on translate to free web/application access etc?

Or can anyone think of any issues I may have?

Cheers - Roscoe

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

Don't really see why not .... only thing i would suggest is to check what "unlimited web" means .... its usually fair-use capped ... if you download a load of podcasts or stream loads of music / video you might hit the limit on a non-iphone intended tariff.

If this is a pay-monthly contract then all the in-built web settings for the iphone should work ok too ..

3. roscoeuk1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

This is what the O2 website says:

Data Bolt On Terms
    The Web Bolt On allows you unlimited use of Telefónica O2 UK Limited's Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.

You may not use your SIM Card:
    in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
    in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission, remove the Web Bolt On from your account or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

It mentions continous streaming which I of course will not be doing. At most I will stream Last.fm every now and then and the occasional use of You Tube.?

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I've got a 2G iPhone on the £20 deal with the web bolt on. It works great :) You can watch youtube on it just fine (never used last.fm on it though). I think "unlimited" means 500mb which is loads.

Once you get the phone you just put your sim in, plug it into iTunes and the phone's activated. Easy :)

5. BNZ1 macrumors regular

I have a 3G on the £20 simplicity plan also. I thrash my web usage and have never heard anything from O2

6. roscoeuk1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys thats great!

I think I shall buy it today then.. woo!

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

8. roscoeuk1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the guy I was going to buy it off decided he no longer wanted to sell it.

I am going to continue to search through Gumtree etc to see if I can find a good deal but it seems that competition is high for second hand iPhones and there seems to be so many dodgy people. I found random companies offering new 3G iPhones for £150 who then don't reply to emails. Strange.

What is a fair price for a 3G 8gb iPhone? Would I be a sucker to buy one for £342 from O2?

I really want one but don't want to pay more than £225!

Cheers :)

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

What's the ebay going price? When I was looking for an iphone the 8GB 2G's seemed to go for about £200 on ebay and that's what people on gumtree etc tended to base their prices on. Don't think the 3Gs were that different in price. I know loads of people who've bought them payg from o2, but bear in mind there probably will be a new iPhone in Juneish so you might want to hold off on paying £342 for one now. Also look at the front page, o2 iPhone prices might be dropping *but this is just a rumour*

I was lucky, guy at my mum's work sold me his 2G for £100 :D Hurray for mates' rates