iPhone (O2 UK) > iPhone (Mobily KSA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleLight, Apr 2, 2009.

1. AppleLight macrumors member

Hi all,

Am really looking to get an iPhone, in the UK, (as in now) but in a few months I might be going to Saudi Arabia, (for more than a few months) question being, is it possible for me to use the iPhone on O2 there which uses the Mobily network?

Or would it have to be unlocked? Or is it even better just to get one from there?

Mobily KSA
    As you can see, they're quite excited about having the exclusive rights..

2. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

You're going to want to get one from Saudi Arabia. UK doesn't unlock their iPhones, and you'll get hideous roaming charges if you take a UK phone over there. Your best bet is a Saudi iPhone, which you can sell when you go back to the UK, or wherever you end up next!

3. AppleLight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I would need to use Yellowsn0w or something i think to unlock it if i did get it from here though right?

Also, if you buy a UK iPhone, but don't use the sim card they give you with it (i.e. a different O2 one), do you still get the 12 months unlimited internet?

4. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

You would need to unlock it, yes, but I've heard that most phones are shipping with 2.2.1m which Yellowsn0w has not come up with an unlock for, so you'd be out of luck going that route.

I'm US, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but I don't think that would work, since the iPhone is tied to the SIM inside it.