iPhone O2 UK PAYG Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattydodgy, Sep 29, 2007.

1. mattydodgy macrumors member

mattydodgy

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with a little question. On 9th November, I buy an iPhone, will I be able to jailbreak it (activate it) and then put my current O2 UK SIM in it, and it will work. Because unlocking means going to another carrier, but I'm not. I just don't want to pay £35 min for a flipping contract with hardly no texts! Grrr...

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Dude. Nov 9th is like, 6 bleeding weeks away and this game is changing almost on a daily basis. How the hell would anyone be able to make any form of meaningful prediction at this time? Just grab some popcorn and watch the show! My iPhone is in transit as we speak and even I don't know what'll be happening by the time it arrives. Exciting, isn't it?

3. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Bolt-On some texts and laugh as you carry around an iPhone, and not a brick.

Hacking and/or unlocking is a waste of time, money and energy in my eyes.

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

under 6 weeks to go!!!!!!!!
    I think there will be a few surprises from 02 before the phone is out, there has been no word yet of how much calls or texts will be if you go over your monthly tariff's, I can see 02 to 02 unlimited calls which you can get for the N95 just now. If they do I think they'll sell alot more phones!!

ps. can't wait!!!

pps. anyone know of any UK iphone forums?

5. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I've bought a US iPhone with 1.0.2 firmware and am using my O2 Pay As You Go simcard in it. I hope someone cracks the v1.1.1 firmware soon. I'm tempted to go for the contract when it comes out in November, but like you I think the contract offers are pretty poor compared with other offers? My girlfriend got a free LG Prada, free calls and 1000 texts for £45 a month. I suppose O2 are lowering the calls and texts to compensate for the free data, but it still sucks.

6. alFR macrumors 68020

My condolences. :D

7. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Lol, she liked it because of the style. I told her the interface was meant to be crap but she still got it. She's had it about 2 months and wants an iPhone now, she's fed up with the unresponsive screen. I had a go on it and it doesn't seem like the screen is even calibrated properly, especially when texting.

8. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

I think the Iphone works with only the Sim it comes with. It wont matter if you already have an O2 pay as you go Sim or O2 monthly contract Sim. So its locked strictly to the O2 Sim that comes with the Iphone.

9. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Another thing you could try when the time comes (and I'm not a 100% sure it will work) is buy the iphone at the launch, take it home and when activating via Itunes, enter in crap details for name, address and credit card etc. You should then fail the credit check. I doubt you will get a message on itunes saying 'You have failed the credit check please repackage the iphone and return to your nearest O2 shop, CWH or apple store'. O2 may just put you on a pay as you go option. I guess you will have to wait till Nov 9th to see if this is possible, I'm aware some people were able to use this method with ATT in the States.

I sympathize with your plight, the tariffs on O2 are crap, I'd willingly take more texts and Min's over unlimited data. I've got Internet wi fi access at home and work so the data option for me would not be necessary.

10. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

ive got mine already im enjoying it on pay n go with £5 internet data FUP of 2gb- freakin amazin-i have contract fones aswell but i brought the iphone unlocked - i didnt wana wait around for it im happy not updating it - ts only a matter of time until the team figure some hacks out anyway - lovin it - i say go n buy it u wont regret it

11. mattydodgy thread starter macrumors member

mattydodgy

Thanks for all your opinions guys... But I know this is completely irrelevant to the topic, but one more question...

So say I bought the iPhone and got the contract, do you think, say in a couple of months time (knowing Apple) they bring out another 2G phone, you will be able to put your current contract SIM into it, or do you think they will charge you for another additional contract?!

:)