iPhone observations from a former WebOS and Android user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jade, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jade macrumors 6502

I just got an iPhone 4s with my Sprint Account. This is my 4th "smartphone" since I am coming from a Palm Centro, Palm Pre, and lastly an LG Optimus. I also used to be a pocket pc user. I aslo have a 2nd generation ipod touch.

I got this iPhone after a little negotiating with Sprint after a series of escalating issues with my LG Optimus on Android, even though my upgrade date is Jan 2012. I got really lucky and picked up the last 32GB in black at the sprint store on Monday.

The final straw for me with the Android phone? After the 2.3 upgrade, things started exploding. Mainly battery life and charging. These are 2 of my number ones. I need to be able to charge my phone from my computer or car (this broke with the upgrade). And the battery decreased from about 18 hours to 6. Yup 6, with no ability to charge away from the wall charger. Combine that with 5 hard resets since June and you can understand why I was ready to throw that lemon away (3rd replacement phone.)

Here are my critical uses for my phone:
    email: gmail and exchange for work
    calendar: visibility and reminders
    phone: mostly when I am mobile or at my office that is sort of like a co-working space
    navigation: I never remember where things are
    social apps: facebook, twitter
    reading: rss, nook, newspapers
    music: backup for my ipod shuffle at the gym, pandora
    apps: evernote, dropbox, mint, google voice
    photos: my digital camera is never around when i need it and i always forget to charge it. My phone is my stand-in.

I need a phone that can last all day with light use, and space for a few casual games. I can sacrifice a few features as long as the phone lasts all day.

For my next phone I ruled out many of the available Androids because frankly they were far too large. I need something hand friendly, since I typically hold my phone up to my face for talking and like to hold it one handed to operate. Pocketability is important too.

So I thought I'd launch a quick comparison, pros and cons to each of the mobile OSes I have used and give some tips to the switchers.

Android pros:

• Passcode options (I love the pattern option!)
    • dedicated hardware buttons for the camera
    • voice web search shortcut
    • google apps integration
    • customization and widgets
    • Contacts appended with Facebook data
    • maps navigation

WebOS Pros
    • Palm Account for account settings and apps
    • Notifications
    • Task Switching and multi-tasking
    • Unified contacts with Social media
    • Gestures for closing and switching apps
    • Calendar (I absolutely loved the "contact attendees button on a reminder that defaulted to an email with running late in the body)
    • Easy built in search of the phone and the web (I found this to be superior to the android implementation)
    • snooze button for reminders, just like on your computer

So far I am pretty happy with my iphone. At the end I'll share my beefs.
    I had ruled out the iPhone for the past couple of years for a few key reasons: navigation, notifications and size

Apple really bests all of the other phones on the touch screen keyboard. I find it very fast and accurate compared with other touch screens. I have tried them all, and it is really easy to get adjusted and type fast on an iphone.

The iOS user interface is very clean and intuitive. Most settings I was able to figure our right away, although it took a little while to figure out how to add a second email account. I was happy to see that my icloud/former mac.com address reactivated itself immediately when I setup iCloud. I haven't been on .me for about 3 years now.

I uncovered a whole ton of cool new features when holding down the home button, from the quick app launcher for the recent apps and of course the new camera access from the launch screen. I also like the new app folders, and I was able to clean up my desktop quickly.

I was happy to see my ipod touch apps sync over when I connected to my computer as there were quite a few games I really liked that I had installed.

With the new and improved notification center, I am actually able to use an iPhone. If this wasn't announced, I would have stayed in the android camp -- even though it is lacking the polish of iOS. This was a must have for me.

I was pretty excited about Siri, even though Androids have similar functionality. I only used the voice dial occasionally on my android because since it got confused way too easily. I found the accuracy to be lacking a bit. Siri and the voice dictation by comparison are very good. I have created a ton of reminders and tried out quite a few interesting features from adding stuff to my calendar, finding emails and playing music. This is a game changer for me.

I know a lot of people have beef with iOSes lack of customization options, but for me this isn't very important. Over time I started to find Android a lot like using a PC. You need to do a lot of tinkering to get things right. Considering I spend all day on my computer and helping my clients troubleshoot their web apps, the last thing I want to do is tinker with my phone. I want to use my phone to consume content, not my time.

I am pretty happy so far, but I still have lots to figure out. Happy to get access to the apps that weren't available on Android or WebOS. And surprisingly, since the screen is so crisp, I might actually watch a few videos on my phone. I am starting to understand the appeal. Browsing the web is surprisingly pleasant as well.

Now for my beefs

iPhone Beefs
    • No ability to create email attachments
    • Lots of clicks to navigate the UI
    • No gestures to switch apps
    • No option for different signatures by email address
    • Email search isn't very obvious
    • Where is the snooze button for reminders?
    • Can't switch contact accounts from exchange to gmail/etc
    • Default gmail config does not support contacts
    • No native google reader app
    • Battery life feels short (not sure if it is me, the phone or the new factor. Only time will tell.)

At the moment, none of these beefs are enough to drop the phone altogether, but only time will tell. Right now I am enjoying the polished feel and experience of iOS.

2. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

FYI, make sure you setup Gmail using MS Exchange setup (This will sync calendar, contacts, and email) and not the gmail profile. Google has instructions on how to do so.

3. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That was one of the first changes I made. I was wondering where my contacts were!

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

For the pattern lock, once iPhone 4S is jailbroken, pattern lock can be found on Cydia

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

For attachments, can you describe what you're trying to do?

Say you want to email three photos in a reply. From Mail initiate the reply, switch to Photos app, tap+hold the first pic to bring up the Copy action, switch back to Mail and paste. Repeat for any additional photos you wish to attach.

I agree this isn't terribly intuitive and involves a lot of clicks, but it does work. :)

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

The other thing with attachments is that you often want to email the attachment, rather than attach it to the email.. i.e. you start with the attachment. So from the photos app you can select a photo, then choose to email it. Same for many other apps. Much easier than starting the email then attaching something.

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Also, for e-mail search, just use spotlight (swipe left to right on the home screen and search there). It will find all your e-mails (and anything else with your search term). Works very well, and is very quick.

As for Google Reader, there are a ton of RSS apps that interface with Google Reader. My favorite RSS app is Pulse, which I absolutely LOVE (they also have an Android app, so maybe you've used it). I use TeaReader on webOS (I have an HP TouchPad), which is good, but nowhere near the same as Pulse. It's visual, wonderful to browse. Love it. Pulse can connect to your Google RSS account and will add all those feeds (which you can then arrange by category, etc).

I feel you on the webOS gestures, though. I like iOS a lot, but since getting the TouchPad, I LOVE the webOS interface. It's just beautiful, and so easy to navigate. There are other things on the TP that, of course, are nowhere near as good as what iOS does, but the interface itself is wonderful. If I've been using my TP for a while, I'll pick up my phone and swipe up from the bottom to minimize the card....oops.

8. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

From android and webos, you can start with an email, then navigate to photos ow whatever and pick up a few images. This works more like my desktop does. I don't start at the photo and pick people to email. I compose the email and consider my attachments the copy. Especially if I have a couple to grab. This is a little convoluted.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

You can do it either way in iOS. Start in email or start in photos, whatever you prefer.

What may be confusing is there isn't an explicit "attach something" action in the Mail app. Just start your email, then switch to photos, select & copy however many photos you wish to attach, switch back to mail and paste them into the message.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, there's no reason that 'RSS' reader should be listed as a 'con' when there are so many to choose from.

I like NewsRack, which also syncs with Google reader.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I use NewsRack for RSS feeds and it works very well. It syncs with your Google Reader.