iPhone OLED screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What do you think the chances of this happening are? It would be pretty bad ass (assuming price stayed the same).

But I don't think it'll happen. I say about 20% chance. Still too expensive and new technology...

Basically I'm just trying to add more speculation! haha.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Way less than 1%. OLED is not ready for prime time yet.

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

probably slim to none for this version atleast..

4. tchait macrumors newbie

That would be really nice, but probably too expensive.

5. Elsewhere macrumors member

OLED: No

However, I'd say there is a very high probability that the new iPhone will be using the new LED Backlight technology that is in the Macbook Air.

This would certainly make the "22% thinner" rumor plausible.

I would predict that the 4th Generation iPhone will have OLEDs

6. phinnaeus macrumors member

I'd bet on third.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

id bet on 4th with the other guy, OLED has a loooong way to go before its ready for the big time.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... doesn't it already have a LED backlight? LED backlighting has been fairly common on small screens for a long time now. It's just using LED's on a 13 or 20 or 30" screen that's difficult, AFAIK.

9. Elsewhere macrumors member

Here is what I suspect the new iPhone v2.0 display will be:

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/070831.html

Sharp Develops and Will Mass Produce New System LCD with Embedded Optical Sensors to Provide Input Capabilities Including Touch Screen and Scanner Functions
    Enables New User Interfaces for Mobile Devices

Sharp Corporation has successfully developed a new System LCD equipped with touch screen and scanner functions. An optical sensor is built into each pixel of the LCD panel, eliminating the need to bond a film to the panel for touch screen functions, and providing beautiful images without losing display image quality.

Today, touch screen functions are becoming indispensable on displays for mobile devices such as smartphones, digital cameras, PDAs*1, and UMPCs*2. However, conventional methods to provide such functions mainly involve laminating or bonding a film on top of the LCD panel, leading to problems with reduced display image quality and increased thickness for the display section.

In this light, Sharp developed its proprietary System LCD technology to successfully embed an optical sensor used in devices like scanners in each pixel of the LCD panel. This technology eliminates the need for films, resulting in a thinner, beautifully clear screen display compared to conventional touch screens. In addition, tactile recognition based on simultaneously touching multiple points on the screen is now possible, a feature previously difficult to implement. For example, users can easily tap the screen with two fingers to enlarge or reduce a displayed map. Also, the scanner function can be used to scan in a business card placed on top of the screen, and further improvements to this function are expected to enable fingerprint authentication in the future.
    Sample shipments will begin in September of this year, with volume production slated to start next spring.

As a leading LCD company, Sharp will continue to develop new proprietary LCD technologies in the small and medium-sized LCD field as well as in the area of large-screen LCDs for TVs, and will be contributing to further advances in mobile devices in the future.

Newly Developed System LCD Screen size 8.9 cm (3.5-inch) on the diagonal
    Pixel count 320 V x RGB x 480 H (half-VGA)
    Note: Optical sensor built into each pixel
    Applications Smartphones, digital cameras, etc.
    Functions Touch screen (with simultaneous recognition of multiple touch points), scanner
    Start of sample shipments September 2007

10. phinnaeus macrumors member

11. kleo macrumors regular

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It would be hard to fit a fluorescent light inside the iPhone (or any other small device).

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Many/most handheld PDAs, from ten years ago up until fairly recently, used small Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL) because they were cheaper and brighter than LEDs at the time.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But I'm right, am I not, in my presumption that the iPhone is not one of them?

Out of curiosity, define fairly recently... I was not aware of that. I thought that all those PDAs had gone LED too. I guess I don't know for sure whether my Axim was LED or CCFL backlit. It did seem to be whiter/bluer than the iPhone, which would suggest a CCFL....

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I'd say you're right that the iPhone uses LEDs for its backlight.

Well, getting older, the years tend to run together. I'd say around 2004-6 there began a major switchover to LEDs. Your Axim was probably one of the first.

When I took apart my first Jornada PDA, it had a slim CCFL. I was amazed at how thin it was, but then small bulbs and even miniature radio tubes have been around for decades... so I shouldn't have been surprised.