iPhone on 24/7 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerodoc, Dec 2, 2009.

1. aerodoc macrumors member

Would there be a problem leaving the iPhone on and unlocked 24/7. Since the screen would be on all the time, I was wondering if this would cause problems with the screen or with the battery. Obviously it would be plugged in.

I am trying to use this for home automation which would require 24/7 immediate access (no pressing of home button or swiping).

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I assume you would be planning to leave it plugged in 24/7? You won't get more than about 5 hours on battery like that. If that's the case, why not just buy a cheap computer?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The question is how long would an iphone last once left constantly charging and always on 24/7?
    Let us know:D
    Or like suggested above use a cheap spare PC instead.

4. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

Well, as I stated in the original post, it would be plugged in 24/7.

I guess I am not looking for "why not use this or that". While I thank you for your input, everyone has their own objectives. Rather, I would appreciate more direct answers the question if you have had your phone on for long periods of time or are might have info related to this.

5. boatski macrumors regular

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I was curious and asked a question. I apologize if I my response did not meet your expectations, but one really doesn't have the right to demand only a particular type of response to a question posed on a public message board. We discuss things here, that's what the forums are for. I guess if you have a more direct response to my question, I would be interested to hear it.

See what I did there?

7. Bat Commander macrumors member

If you stop and think about it, the screen won't last as long because it's always going to be on and that will shorten the life of the LCD. Leaving the screen on always will probably make the iPhone hot and that's not good for the internal components. I don't think Apple designed the iPhone for keeping the screen on full time, but nobody knows for sure.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

honestly the screen may "not last as long" but it would easily last more than 2 years. Who cares about battery life. If it 'needs' to be plugged in 24/7 for 'home automation', then why would he unplug it.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Highly doubt that.
    An iphone plugged in and the display on 24/7 will not last 2 years, 2 months maybe.
    Who knows what will go first, the lcd or other internal components.
    Hope the OP lets us know if he attempts it, it should be covered under warranty I assume.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I wonder how the heat would affect it. I know they usually quote 30-60,000 hours as the life span of an LCD. That's approximately 3-1/2 to 7 years, but I doubt that was meant to be 30-60k consecutive hours of operation.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have an iPhone that's been plugged in continuously for the last month or so; great alarm clock. Even works when the power goes out.

No problems whatsoever. Worse case, I'd need to get a new battery for $80 which would only be 3-4 years down the line anyways.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be interesting to find out what would happen but I wouldnt try it with my 3GS :)
    Like mentioned above the battery might also degrade or be unusable after a while.

13. firewood macrumors 604

There are no moving parts in an iPhone. You might want to cycle the battery every few months to make sure it hasn't died, especially after a couple years. Other than the battery, the device will likely be obsolete before anything else happens, like my still working color-LCD Palm handhelds. I also have an LCD clock that's well over a decade old, still displaying the time.

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

That's one reason why Apple doesn't place removable batteries on the iPhone. If not, everybody will be wall-charging it to save battery life!

15. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

In case anyone was wondering, I have had an iPod touch plugged in 24/7 since I started thread (11 months now)

No hardware problems. Once every couple months it will stop reacting to touch completely. After a reboot everything is fine. I suspect it will go for quite a while longer.

16. vant macrumors 65816

It should be fine.

These devices were designed to be run 24/7 as a benchmark.

My recommendation is to cycle the battery every month (which would also reset it).

17. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

missing the point much?

It's going to be plugged in 24/7. who cares about the battery?

My bets are on screen damage if the image stays static all the time. You'll start seeing an impression of what was there even when it shouldn't be.

Why not just rig it up so you hit the home button to unlock again? What kind of "home automation" would require the device to be unlocked 24/7?

18. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

The image is static 99% of the time, no problems.

They work largely as light switches and muting sound/changing radio stations. It would be impractical to press the home button to turn the lights on/off.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Sounds like an intriguing use of the iPod touches - do you have them mounted on the wall as control panels? Are you using custom software on them or something from the app store?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I use my ipod touch as a coffee table leveler.
    Works great:D

21. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

They are mounted on a wall with a custom designed holder that does not show the cord.

I use a program called command Fusion
    http://www.commandfusion.com/

It works with Crestron, AMX, and others. Unfortunately, this is not a simple or cheap setup though. I use the iPad as a total home controller and the iPhone to remotely control the home/security/etc. The iPod touch is a nice accept piece that works as a light switch and quick display of time/temp (and can be used for simple audio functions, etc.). I also sometimes use the portable ones as TV/RADIO/ITUNES/HVAC controllers.

There are many other approaches, but this is one of the top ways. I even prefer it to Crestron controllers. The main advantages is that I can control my HTPC via AirMouse, control iTunes via Remote, and also surf web,email, etc. which the crestron (or other) controllers will not.

22. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

23. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

Except for the fact that I mentioned it has worked fine for 11 months. At least read the thread before making a comment.

24. spades1412 macrumors 6502