Iphone on 4.0 jailbreak, should i update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by americaroma, Jan 1, 2011.

1. americaroma macrumors member

Hello people, sorry if this was posted before i just cant find any info on this...

So basically i have an iphone 4 on the 4.0 uptdate, its jailbreaked and im using it on GoPhone...

Would it be a good idea to update to the newest apple update?

I know i will loose jailbreak but i dont mind too much about that...what i dont know if i will be able to continue using the gophone service, also what happens to apps i bought in cydia, can i get them back without repurchasing them in a future jailbreak?

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Is gophone associated with AT&T?

Because if not, then you need Jailbreak to unlock to use something outside of AT&T.

3. oplix Suspended

oplix

You need to upgrade to 4.1 using your 4.0 baseband. Meaning you upgrade to 4.1 but keep old baseband for unlock.

4. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

Gophone is from att, i dont think my iphone is unlocked, thanks for the response

5. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

So 4.1 ? Isnt there a newer update?

And if i update to 4.1, how can i keep the old basband?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

4.2.1 is the newest firmware version. It's a tethered jailbreak though.

To update to 4.1 you need the SHSH saved in Cydia.

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Why do people miss the obvious question?

WHY do you want to upgrade the version of iOS you are running?

• Are you having a problem the latest version fixes?
    • Is there a feature of the latest version you need?

If the answers are, "No.", then don't upgrade.

I am always amazed at people who have a perfectly running iPhone that does everything they need yet they have this urge to upgrade and, more often than not, create issues for themselves.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

I never said i wanted to, all i asked was if it was a good idea, wanted to see if people would recomend it...

Also, some claim that the proximity sensor issue got fixed with newer firmware and i was wondering if i could benefit from that....

"if it aint broke dont try to fix"

That is why ive sticked with the first jailbreak and havent upgraded, thanks for the responses guys, i guess im gonna wait, or pgrade to 4.1...

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. I'd stick with 4.1 for now. The prox sensor has somewhat improved but the problem it's still there.
    I still mute calls and hit other things with my face while on a call.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

It's not a matter of whether you should or not, but more an issue if you can upgrade.

Do you have your SHSH saved? If not, then no, you cannot upgrade to 4.1. If you do have them saved, I would recommend going up to 4.1 for the HDR camera.

12. americaroma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i was actually able to upgrade to 4.1 and also keep the same baseband, had little trouble since ive been away from the jailbrake scene for a while...

Lost recently added contacts since i didnt do a backup, but it was ok...

The proxmity sensor seems to be working much better in the few calls i have made today.

It seems that i indeed had saved my shsh's and didnt even knew abouit it, all those things confuse me alot....

Now i just got to remember which tweaks i have purchased from cydia and install them again...

Thanks for all the help guys, especially for being patient with my poor knowledge of the jailbrake world.