iPhone on 5ghz wi-fi

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Sverkel, May 6, 2015.

1. Sverkel macrumors regular

Sverkel

Hi.

Where I work we got an access point that can handle both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the SSID is the same.

Is there anyway I can choose what band to connect to myself or do I just have to trust that iOS 8 can handle that task on it's own?

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

As far as I know without jailbreaking you're going to have to trust iOS

3. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Can you not just sign into the 5ghz and not the 2.4ghz so if you have never entered the password for the 2.4ghz your phone will never join it or am I being stupid.

That is what I did at home so it will only connect to 5ghz

4. Yun0 Suspended

Yun0

if the ssid & passwords are the same, u cant. ios, & any wifi device for that matter, will auto connect to the one & roam to the other based on signal & speed for a given signal strength.

id assume theres some jailbreak app scanner that can tell ios to use whichever wifi radio strictly

5. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

What is the benefit for having one SSID for both the 2.4 & 5.0 bands???

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Some routers (like the AirPort Express) simply broadcast the same network under the same network automatically. This is so that the device, such as your iPhone, can choose to connect to whichever network is better performing. For example, while 5GHz is faster, 2.4GHz is a lot stronger, so if you're a good distance from your router, it'll automatically switch to the 2.4GHz channel for better network performance.

It's also nice to not have to manage two wireless networks. Every device connects to the same one and configures itself for the best possible connection.

Of course most routers that do this (if not all) you can force to display two separate networks.