Iphone on a cruise/islands?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stylez4o1, Sep 22, 2010.

1. stylez4o1 macrumors newbie

I'm sure someone here has been on a cruise with their iphone. Did you just add the international data plan? The cheapest 1 is $25 for 20 mb, which seems fine for me I think. I heard the ships wifi is expensive. I'm only on the ship/island for about 3-4 days. I'm just wondering how everyone else did it. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I used the ship's wifi but it is pretty pricey!

3. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Something to remember on the cruise ships. Internet is usually over satellite, so there's a latency. I pretty much use it for critical things, but for the most part, I just didn't use the phone for phone stuff on cruises.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Just put your phone on airplane mode and enjoy your cruise. You can live without your phone for a few days. That's what I did on my recent 7 days cruise, Texas > Jamaica > Caymen > Mexico > Texas.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I go on vacation to disconnect from the world. I give family members the info on the cruise or where I will be staying and if 100% necessary and the only thing I can think of would be a death in the family they can call the cruise line to get a hold of me or hotel where I'm staying.

At most I will put my phone in airplane mode and turn wifi on if I happen to have access to free wifi to check email or post a photo on facebook of the trip.