Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylez4o1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
I'm sure someone here has been on a cruise with their iphone. Did you just add the international data plan? The cheapest 1 is $25 for 20 mb, which seems fine for me I think. I heard the ships wifi is expensive. I'm only on the ship/island for about 3-4 days. I'm just wondering how everyone else did it. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I used the ship's wifi but it is pretty pricey!

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Something to remember on the cruise ships. Internet is usually over satellite, so there's a latency. I pretty much use it for critical things, but for the most part, I just didn't use the phone for phone stuff on cruises.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Just put your phone on airplane mode and enjoy your cruise. You can live without your phone for a few days. That's what I did on my recent 7 days cruise, Texas > Jamaica > Caymen > Mexico > Texas.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Just put your phone on airplane mode and enjoy your cruise. You can live without your phone for a few days. That's what I did on my recent 7 days cruise, Texas > Jamaica > Caymen > Mexico > Texas.
Exactly. I go on vacation to disconnect from the world. I give family members the info on the cruise or where I will be staying and if 100% necessary and the only thing I can think of would be a death in the family they can call the cruise line to get a hold of me or hotel where I'm staying.

At most I will put my phone in airplane mode and turn wifi on if I happen to have access to free wifi to check email or post a photo on facebook of the trip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.