Iphone on a family plan...is the following situation possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stateofmind, Nov 29, 2007.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

Ok so I have a family plan consisting of 3 lines. The contract has just finished and we are now going month to month. I want an Iphone because I lost my phone (I have reported it) and upgrade the 2 other phones with the free options online.

Can I order the 2 upgrades online and head to an Apple store for the iphone? If so, during the activation I will be able to link it the number my old phone was connected to?

And one more thing, my current rate plan is 79.99, but once I get 1 iphone on the plan it will jump to 99.99?

Thanks in advance :)

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Your best bet would be to talk to the people at AT&T.

But you should be able to do most of what you want there. You may have to take out a 2year contract on the iPhone though. I know I had to "renew" my contract when I went.

3. werkedm3 macrumors member

I am in a very similar situation. I'm on a family plan with 3 lines, and I upgraded my line to the iphone, and the other two lines are still eligible for upgrades. My line now has a 2 year contract though. Your "rate plan" won't go up per-se, however, you will be charged $20 for unlimited data and 200 text messages.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You know what i would do?

Get 2 mail in rebate phones that are decent, then buy the iPhone.

Then sell the 2 phones on ebay making a nice profit, and get 2 free phones.

If that makes sense.

And yes, to add an iPhone onto a plan, the bill will be $20 more than what it used to be.

5. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

So in other words your saying, I can get the 3 free phones and the iphone, and since I wont need the 3rd free phone...I can sell it?

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

no you can get the 2 phones that you get with a deal when you sign up with a 2 year contract at ATT, (get the 2 phones that look like the best deal) then sell them on ebay.

Since you don't have to pay to start over a new contract when you get a iPhone, you basically make a nice profit.

You know how they sell $200 phones for like $30 or what not with a 2 year agreement, etc. If you don't want the phone, sell it and get the ones you want, plus it gives you some extra cash.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

My husband did this for his iPhone.... bought a blackjack, activated it, switched the plan to the iPhone. My iPhone is not yet activated but I want to do a family plan with my husband. In this case - It sounds like I can also do the 'buy another phone to keep as backup or sell' deal.... BUT... I'm confused as to how to go about it.

Is it safe to assume my husband has to upgrade to the Family plan - and THEN I activate my phone ONTO that plan? Or do I have the order wrong?

8. zilu01 macrumors newbie

I also have the family plan and I did not have to sign a new contract. it just asked me to add a $20 data plan. in your case I would assume that your cost will jump to $99 a month.

9. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

yes, you can get 3, if all 3 of your lines are eligible now, (remember there's usually an activation fee for new devices though), then you'll be enrolled in a new 2-year contract with your 3 lines. When you go and activate an iPhone on one of those lines later, you will start a new 2-year contract that will run concurrent with your other one.

So yes, if the Activation Fee can be overcome by selling the phone, go for it, there's no reason not to have 2 2-year contracts at the same time.

@zilu01, when you added the $20 data plan, you just signed yourself up for a 2-year contract. Read the terms or call AT&T to confirm. The only difference is that since the iPhone is unsubsidized, you are still eligible for a subsidized phone at a discount if you "re-up" your 2-year contract, but rest assured, the iPhone data plan is locked in for 2 years.