iPhone on ATT without iPhone Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnyrgbpffc, Apr 6, 2008.

1. tnyrgbpffc Guest

I have an iPhone that I have been using with a prepaid sim for a few weeks, but I want to use it as my main phone now. I have an awesome plan with att that I do not want to get rid of by switching to an iPhone plan. I know I wont get visual voicemail this way, but that does not really matter to me.

If I put my ATT sim in my Activated + Jailbroken iPhone, will att yank my corp discount, or will I just get the F999 error when I log into their website, but not adverse action?

I know they can not change my plan or extend my contract without my consent, but I am sure they could pull my discount if they wanted too.

2. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Use an iPhone on ATT, you WILL pay the iPhone premium. Its that simple. I think they are VERY clear on that subject. And yes, kiss your corp discount goodbye.

And, yes, they can easily tell you have an iPhone. Heck, even tMobile told me I was using one. They KNOW.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

There is always the IMEI switch, but for that you need to use ziphone.

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Yes, the corp. discount will be removed. When activating it, it will tell you the corp. discount will be removed.

5. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

Not true, at least not true from my experience.

I used to work for AT&T , I since left AT&T, I purchased my iPhone back in Feb when the 16GB was released. My AT&T Corporate discount still applies to my AT&T phone bill.

When I switched my plan over to the iPhone, from a RAZR plan, the clerk acknowledged my discount and my plan only went up 20.00

6. D3lta macrumors 6502a

When I was activating through iTunes, it told me I have a corp. discount and that it will be removed...

Maybe the AT&T discount doesn't get removed.

The corp. discount I have is through my dads work.

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

That is cool- your ATT discount still works- more power to you. I do not think that is the case for any other corp discounts.

And they DID know you had an iPhone- you can't not pay that extra 20.00...

8. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

Oh yeah they did, because I purchased and activated it AT the ATT store,

I was never trying to hide the fact that I have an iPhone.

9. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

The big problem is that Apple gets a cut of your monthly bill if you have an iPhone so AT&T would have to have measures in place to make sure that if there is an iPhone on their network that its under the iPhone plan.

I got a corp discount also- before my iphone and now none!

10. fr33 loader macrumors regular

Part of the appeal of iPhone is the "eat-all-you-can" internet convenience which I think your bill would skyrocket without that $20 iPhone plan. I don't know how much they charge for just a regular unlimited internet plan though.

11. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

agreed 100% If they didn't have that $20 upgrade / add-on I wouldn't be an iPhone user. there is no way I'm going to pay 90, 80 even 70 bux a month for phone use, screw that.....This way, I still managed to keep my phone bill under 50 bux a month (450 minutes and 200 texts, unlimited email/iphone/data/visual voicemail, etc)

with my RAZR and my ATT corporate discount I was paying under 30 bux a month ,

But then again, I was grandfathered in from ATT Wireless originally back in 2001, then from there grandfathered into Cingular when they sold, then from there grandfathered into ATT Wireless again ha hahaha (which I find so amusing) so my plan/rate/corporate discount hasn't changed hardly at all since 2001.

Of course , if they ever actually figure out that I'm not an ATT Employee any longer I'm sure it'll go away.....

12. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I bought my gf an iPhone to be used with her At&T plan. I unlocked the phone and placed her at&t sim card in there. The phone works perfectly (the only thing missing is visual email and edge - which she doesnt use anyway). I downloaded the services app to disable edge (in order to avoid the charges). The phone shows up as an iphone on the "my account" page on the att wireless website, but they cannot automatically add the iphone plan. When I called them to make a change to the plan, the rep asked me which phone is being used - and I simply replied Razr and the change was made (it was addition of text messaging plan)