iPhone on Campus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sdao, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Sdao macrumors 6502

I've got a question for everyone out there using an iPhone (hence, why I came to this section of the forum)

I've got an iPhone. Im on campus. I havent tried to connect to a wireless network on campus yet, but its not the average connection.

My campus has a connection where, for example, you open your browser on your laptop and a web page will pop up asking you to input your student id and password. After inputting that, you are successfully connected. However, it doesnt work if you manually input this information (in your wireless connection settings). It only works if you put in your information through the web page.

With that being said, who here thinks it'll be possible for me to connect to wifi on campus? Will opening safari on my iPhone take me straight to my campus login access page? I know most of you cant give me an exact answer, but any help would be great.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think that was the whole reason to put Safari on the touch in the first place. It should work fine.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My school works the same way and I haven't gotten it to work yet. It tries to load the login page but it never shows up.

4. Justin205 macrumors newbie

Had to do the same thing here at my school. Opened Safari....it took me to the login page....I put in all my info....and now it works just fine.

5. cah87 macrumors regular

I have the iphone at schol also. I go to school in Utah and when i open safari it goes to the last page i was at. Then try to go to another page and it will transfer you to the log in page. Then type in your info and it should grant you access and generally send you to the webpage you were trying to access. Anyway thats how i do it.

Hope this helps.

6. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

if your school's network uses leap authentication, then you are screwed just like i am at missouri state university. i could never get my psp to connect either.

sorry if that's the case...

7. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

same here. at times though, i find myself having to log in multiple times during the day. kind of a pain... but at least it works. there is a new app out that will automatically log you in to wifi networks, such as this, automatically... but there aren't a whole lot of useable networks included yet. on their website, you can add the information about your network and they'll eventually add it in.

8. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

have you guys tried to contact your IT lab and ask them for support on this? Sometimes they request you to register certain things like laptops, xboxs, etc. So it can work seamlessly on their network.

9. mac000 macrumors 6502a

just turn your wifi on, type an address in and you will be reverted to enter your student info.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Most of the WiFi networks on campuses that have the simple authentication apge SHOULD work. If they don't, definitely give feedback to your school's IT department. If there's significant pressure, they will be motivated to react. And fi tehre's faculty on your campus using iPhones, get them to complain too. It's amazing what wonders a university department can work when a tenured faculty member makes a loud enough stink. :D

11. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I connect to the school network through VPN since its WPA protected.

12. ps49556n macrumors regular

my school works the same way and it works perfectly everytime on my iphone.