question fear

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Did anyone watch "Chuck" tonight? Chuck receives a picture from his friend Morgan, and it looks like an MMS...he's playing with the phone, and a "Photo arriving from Morgan" dialogue appears with a view/ignore. He then hits view and there's the picture.

Creative license or unreleased software?...

MacGeek Pro

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007
Lincoln, NE
Considering Apple's current relations with NBC, I'd have to say creative licenses. Apple isn't giving NBC anything prematurely.

And I did notice the iPhone on Chuck. Agent Walker had one, too, on her hotel bed.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
That show has them all the time. I noticed the mms-looking screen, too. I'd almost guarantee it wasn't legit, everything else after wasn't accurate, like how he synced it with the mac after.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Theres another thread here about it too.

The MMS is probably not real, it's easier to just make a little fake video for it then make a whole program i think.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Theres another thread here about it too.

The MMS is probably not real, it's easier to just make a little fake video for it then make a whole program i think.

Probably true. I still thought it was interesting, although you are probably right. Either that or they added the message in post-production. Not that hard either. And since he was already browsing pics it would be easy to make that transition look real.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If you watch carefully, he flicks the "incoming message" picture off the screen to the left with his thumb - it's just a still photo and a beeping sound effect added in post. Nothing to see here, move along....

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I read an interview with "Chuck" (forget the actors name) and apparently he is an avid gamer. They always have him playing video games on the show, he keeps telling the director that he wants to play it for real and can reproduce any scene at will, but they make him react to pre-recorded game sequences.

I assume the iPhone stuff is the same way. Seriously, who has ever plugged in their iPhone and gotten photos off of it that fast? :D ;)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
If you watch carefully, he flicks the "incoming message" picture off the screen to the left with his thumb - it's just a still photo and a beeping sound effect added in post. Nothing to see here, move along....

i was just about to post this. also, his thumb touches the ignore "button" and not the one to view.

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
I don't know about any of you, but I'm getting a little annoyed by seeing the iPhone in so many TV shows (Chuck, Journeyman, BioWoman, Mythbusters, probably more)! It's taking away the novelty of having one in real life! Everyone wants on the bandwagon because it means instant coolness if you're using one, and then make it do things it can't do thanks to post-production.

Oh well! Small price to pay.

KellyTM

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Mystery Solved

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to let you know that the way it was done on the show was a cheap trick.

The image was edited to contain the iPhone looking notification box so when chuck tapped/swiped the screen with his thumb (the phone was in slideshow > play mode) it moved to the image next, supposedly the one from morgan.
Why didn't they just send it via email like your supposed to with the iphone? who knows.

Another cheap way to do something of the sort is to add a contact with the first name of whatever you want the popup box to say.
My number is 0000000000, I add it to my contact list under the first name only of "Incoming Nudie Pic from a Terrorist" and save the contact.
I then open the SMS application, start a conversation with my own cell number, and tap into the input line. Hit the space bar a few times to send nothing but spaces and click send. As soon as the message is sent, hit the Home button on the bottom of the iphone.
Youll get a notification with sound a few moments later that you are recieving a nudie pic from a terrorist and asked if you want to view or ignore. :p

Cheers.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I don't know about any of you, but I'm getting a little annoyed by seeing the iPhone in so many TV shows (Chuck, Journeyman, BioWoman, Mythbusters, probably more)! It's taking away the novelty of having one in real life! Everyone wants on the bandwagon because it means instant coolness if you're using one, and then make it do things it can't do thanks to post-production.

Oh well! Small price to pay.

I'm sure Apple paid for it... They don't just throw product placement around for free you know! LOL

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
It's most definitely fake, they do stuff like this all the time. In the movie National Treasure everyone used HP notebooks but they were running OS X ;)

PlusOnes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Sarah's iPhone

Does anyone know what colour Sarah's iPhone is and also what brand her case is? I've been looking for a good clear case for ages!

Thank you!

PlusOnes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah... But I'd still like to know and then all the Chuck/iPhone stuff is all in one thread.

lovemtucken

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
case from chuck

chuck bartowski has this case in season 5 and i was hoping that someone knows what type of this case this is?

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 157307h08Edekd.png
    157307h08Edekd.png
    780.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.