iPhone On Computer App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LGShepherd, Mar 22, 2009.

1. LGShepherd macrumors regular

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any app available via App Store or Cydia/Installer which will allow you to use your phone via your computer.

Are you like me and have your phone next to your computer in the dock or laid down and you constantly have to pick it up to reply to a text or email?

I remember seeing a widget for something similar but it wasn't compatible with the iPhone, but could never find anything that would work with the iPhone.

Thanks
    Liam

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

In Portugal we have something like that. Basicaly it's an app for Windows that's similar to skype, but we sign in with our phone account an can do all calls and sms through there. That is provided with all of our cell phone carriers here. But it's only for Windows.

3. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yup, I do it all the time! The only way to do it is if you have a jailbroken phone. Download JollysFastVNC for your desktop (assuming you're using a Mac) and Veency (found in Cydia) for your iPhone. There are other programs that do the same thing, but those are just the ones that I use and like. :eek:

4. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

I have installed both of those on my macbook and iphone, but i am not sure how it works.

Could you explain how to get it up and running?

thanks

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Sure thing. It's been a while since I first configured it, but hopefully I'll get this right. In JollysFastVNC, click the little asterisk-shaped button on the bottom so that a little options menu slides out on the right (if it's not already open). There, enter in your iPhone's IP address (make sure your phone and Mac are on the same WiFi network), and click Connect. You should then get a popup on your iPhone that says "Remote Access Request," Accept connection from (your Mac's IP address). Click Accept, and then you'll see a window on your Mac pop up displaying your iPhone's home screen!

The graphics aren't the greatest, and are a bit sluggish, but it's the fastest VNC client I've found so far. I use it for when my laptop is with me on the couch, and my phone is plugged into the speakers on the other side of the room (basically every night). It's handy to change songs or reply to texts without having to get up!

6. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that!

I have it all set up now and it works well apart from it being a bit sluggish!

This would be an amazing feature if Apple made an official version

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I guess you didn't bother to read my post, but this would much easily be done by the cell phone carriers... This is something they could do for all phones, not just the iPhone.

8. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I did read your message and I contacted o2 today and they said there isn't anything available for this and don't know of any plans.

If anything, this should be an Apple applications in my opinion but VNC works well enough for me at the moment.