iPhone on eBay just not selling!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ss957916, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I put my 2yr old MacBook Pro and 1st gen iPhone on eBay (what is an e-'bay' anyway?) at the same time. The MBP sold early, outside of eBay, for £850 cash.

But my iPhone (with its box etc) is at 99p with only one watcher and it only has a couple of days left. I thought it would have loads of watchers and go for around £100.

Or am I just dreaming?

2. bfrank macrumors newbie

There are probably tons of Iphones on Ebay. Yours willl probably get attention when it has ten minutes left. :p

3. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Wait until the last few hours, you should get more attention then.

Not to mention, the price drop in the Iphone 3G might have something to do with it. Considering how it went down to $100 with the contract, i think it would affect the overall prices online.

4. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

if it doesnt sell, i would wait a few weeks for the hoopla to end. everyone and their mother is trying to unload a iphone right now.
    maybe try craigslist, might pick up local interest more.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Give it time, there is a large volume of phones on ebay and such that you'll not get any serious action until your auction gets closer to ending.

I just sold mine on ebay, and I had only 1 bid until the last day and then I finally got movement with a couple of hours left.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

A couple of days is an eternity on eBay.

For the future, shorter auctions are better for electronics.

7. Que macrumors 6502

i only had a couple of watchers until the last 2 hours, loads of watchers and it sold for £250.

8. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I was in the same boat as you. Nobody was watchng it until the last hour and no bids until the last minute, but it sold for $400 so I'm happy. Trying to get my 3GS today.

9. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You've probably picked one of the worst times to try and sell an iPhone on eBay.

Apple sold a million 3GS iPhones last weekend and a fair few of those buyers will be looking to offload their old handsets this week. The second hand market will probably be saturated for a few weeks.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

If you have low or zero feedback, or negative, people will look elsewhere, especially when there are so many people selling iPhones now as mentioned.

12. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I set a buy it now auction so I wouldn't have to deal with all this heartache. The reality is that if you do an open auction right now, with the number of handsets on eBay you will not get a very good price for your phone.

You can do a Buy it Now auction with a high(er) price and also set the auction for "best offer".

Then you can review the offers and reject the ones from the **** heels (zero feedback, etc) until you get a price you are happy with.

You pay higher fees this way but likely to get more for your phone with so many of them out there.

My 16GB White went for $350 this way which was a fine price as far as I was concerned.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

its funny, because despite all the used phones out there, you still are not able to get one for under $300 that is in great condition. I bet yours will go up some near the end.

14. Khurram macrumors 6502

I just sold my 16gb last night on ebay for 405.00

15. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

link to auction?

16. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

yeah...mine had zero watchers and zero bids until 2 hours left. then the sh** hit the fan...7 bids and a sold iphone 2g for $217. im pretty pleased...but be patient there are THOUSANDS of iphones on ebay :D good luck!

17. stockcerts macrumors 65816

My 3G is on ebay right now. I've got the starting bid at $185- with no bids. The auction ends late this afternoon. There are two "watchers", so I'm hopeful.

18. joelom macrumors newbie

ebay is flooded. my phone is up there and ends in 4 days. it got 7 bids after an hour of being up. now its in the middle of all the phones so it not getting much attention. just be patient and when it moves to the first few pages it will get some more action.

19. swr2000 macrumors member

PM Me and let me know how you make out bc I was thinking of doing that this evening.

20. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I'm sure your 1st gen will sell at a decent price in the last hour of biz. However, I've noticed lower prices for them this week as so many more are being listed. In the US they went for %$150 all the way to $300 sometimes. Now it seems closer to $100. I guess there is another million of them on the market this week...

21. Joe23 macrumors 6502

My 3G 16GB Black just sold on eBay for £280. It was a 5 day listing and for the majority of the time on there it was sat at the £200 starting bid. Only in the last few hours did any bids come in.

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

no worries mate

24 hour auctions are the way to go with hot sellers like Iphones.

23. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Thats what I plan on doing :).

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

CraigsList, local cash only.

Be prepared for a bunch of scammers, but I got 425 for my 8GB 3G.

25. phaggard macrumors regular

I didn't get any hits on my 3G until the last few hours. I got 19 watchers and one person who kept bidding and bidding to keep the highest bid until my reserve was met, he or she won the auction and has never contacted me since. Left me hangin'.