Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klaxrose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
I'm currently on a family plan, and for each line we're paying $10 a month for unlimited data. I was looking to get an iPhone on this plan, but I was wondering if I could just keep the package I'm already using instead of paying for the actual iPhone data package. Would the general $10/month data package work with an iPhone on a family plan? Or is it necessary to get the actual iPhone data package?

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
I'm currently on a family plan, and for each line we're paying $10 a month for unlimited data. I was looking to get an iPhone on this plan, but I was wondering if I could just keep the package I'm already using instead of paying for the actual iPhone data package. Would the general $10/month data package work with an iPhone on a family plan? Or is it necessary to get the actual iPhone data package?

No offense, but they call it an iPhone data plan for a reason.

You buy an iPhone, you get the iPhone data plan.

klaxrose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
You will be required to add the $30 data plan. On a family plan, each iPhone needs it's own data plan, only the minutes are shared.

I was also told it was possible to buy an iPhone from somewhere such as eBay and put my sim card in it and activate it through iTunes, without going through AT&T, and then I could avoid having to purchase the iPhone data plan. Is that not possible, then?

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I was also told it was possible to buy an iPhone from somewhere such as eBay and put my sim card in it and activate it through iTunes, without going through AT&T, and then I could avoid having to purchase the iPhone data plan. Is that not possible, then?

YES BUT.... AT&T may force you (freeze your account) to you add the iphone data plan if they find out. Which they can easily.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

You might have to install a custom carrier file since with 3.0+, it blocks data on non official iPhone data plans.

Back on 2.2.1, I was able to use a blackberry sim on my iPhone and it worked. I haven't tried anything like that since 3.0. Since this is a non iPhone family plan, the data might not work unless it's an iPhone data plan.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
You might have to install a custom carrier file since with 3.0+, it blocks data on non official iPhone data plans.
I dont think at&t would block data instead it's more likely it would just be counted as pay as you go instead of purchased usage

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I dont think at&t would block data instead it's more likely it would just be counted as pay as you go instead of purchased usage
I know that when I used my Blackberry sim in my iPhone, I got a text message from AT&T within hours saying that I was using an unapproved phone plan with my iPhone. Most people just ignore those and I know someone who has gone over a year with a 2G data plan on a 3G phone. AT&T won't change data plans without your consent although they can.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I got a text message from AT&T within hours saying that I was using an unapproved phone plan with my iPhone.
Did you use any data before that message? If so did they include that usage under the unauthorized plan or put it under the default pay as you go plan?

See i have a feeling they wouldnt just ignore that usage. Maybe they would give you a freebee and include it under the unauthorized plan before the text and after the text include it under the pay as you go plan (which all phones are on) Or keep the usage under the unauthorized plan until they freeze the account and make you add an authorized data plan.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Did you use any data before that message? If so did they include that usage under the unauthorized plan or put it under the default pay as you go plan?

See i have a feeling they wouldnt just ignore that usage. Maybe they would give you a freebee and include it under the unauthorized plan before the text and after the text include it under the pay as you go plan (which all phones are on)

The data was still included as part of the BB data plan, they won't charge you pay per use.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Are you using a iPhone with the unlimited $10 data? If so how long have you been doing this?

Somehow i don't see att letting you get away with paying 1/3rd for your data plan for long.

The post I quoted had nothing to do with a non-iPhone data plan. They were discussing not paying for data at all, which is possible.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
The post I quoted had nothing to do with a non-iPhone data plan. They were discussing not paying for data at all, which is possible.
You misread. There was no talk of no data plan because he already has the 10 dollar a month family data plan.

ATTguy1911

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
You wouldn't be able to use an iPhone without the data plan. Their operations will detect you using the iPhone and automatically add the $30/mo data plan. No way around it.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
You miss read. There was no talk of no data plan because he already has the 10 dollar a month family data plan.

No, I didn't.

You wouldn't be able to use an iPhone without the data plan. Their operations will detect you using the iPhone and automatically add the $30/mo data plan. No way around it.

Okay this really needs to stop. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say things as facts. An "I think" or an "As far as I know" would be a good way to start your posts.

I haven't had a data plan on my iPhone for almost a year.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
No, I didn't.

Please stop acting like you know what you're talking about. I haven't had a data plan on my iPhone for almost a year.
Just stop, you are digging yourself into a bigger hole.

The OP already has a data plan for 10 dollars a month. He asked if he bought a 3rd party iphone and put his sim card in it (with the 10 dollar data plan) if he could "keep the package I'm already" aka the 10 dollar one and not have to pay 30 dollar a month iphone data plan.

There is NO talk here of NO data plan.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Just stop, you are digging yourself into a bigger hole.

The OP already has a data plan for 10 dollars a month. He asked if he bought a 3rd party iphone and put his sim card in it (with the 10 dollar data plan) if he could "keep the package I'm already" aka the 10 dollar one and not have to pay 30 dollar a month iphone data plan.

There is NO talk here of NO data plan.

What exactly are you trying to prove? I was replying to the post I quoted. Whether or not he has an invalid data plan does nothing to change what I posted.

The post, again, for your convenience:

He says nothing about his other data plan. THIS is what I was answering. And your "in your face" font is a little ridiculous. You're not the only person posting I'm replying to here.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
What exactly are you trying to prove? I was replying to the post I quoted.
Trying to prove? I already proved you didn't even read the question he asked. You have no right to reply to anything if you can't even understand what is being asked. But go ahead keep talking about how you have no data plan even though this thread is not about having a iphone with no data plan.

GO READ THE FIRST POST

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Trying to prove? I already proved you didn't even read the question he asked. You have no right to reply to anything if you can't even understand what is being asked. But go ahead keep talking about how you have no data plan even though this thread is not about having a iphone with no data plan.

GO READ THE FIRST POST

I read the first post, and all the subsequent posts. The point you're missing is that there HAS been talk of going without a data plan, which is being displayed directly above your quote. Side conversations happen, bud. Get over it.

And again with the unnecessarily oversized font. You're sure doing wonders for getting your point across.

Edit: And for good measure, OP: If your family plan line has that non-iPhone data plan, putting your SIM into your iPhone will work fine.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Get over it.
Get over what? You are wrong and I am right. I'll spell it out for you.
put my sim card in it (iPhone)
His sim already has
$10 a month for unlimited data
so he is trying to avoid
purchase the iPhone data plan.
Because he ALREADY HAS a data plan

The point you're missing is that there HAS been talk of going without a data plan,
No there was not, you misinterpreted what was said because you did not read the first post.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
You are wrong and I am right.

No there was not, you misinterpreted what was said because you did not read the first post.

Self-confidence is always good.

You keep telling yourself that. I have no problem letting people believe what they want.

Have a nice evening. :)

ATTguy1911

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
You cannot keep the $10/mo data plan with an iPhone. That data plan is for basic phones not smartphones. iPhone data plan = $30/mo. Answer to that question. No data plan on your iPhone? Doubt that. 1st gen maybe.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
You cannot keep the $10/mo data plan with an iPhone. That data plan is for basic phones not smartphones. iPhone data plan = $30/mo. Answer to that question. No data plan on your iPhone? Doubt that. 1st gen maybe.

Again, you can believe what you want. But your doubt doesn't add a data plan to my account.

The thing that gets me is this: why would I lie? To look cool?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
That work for ya?

Notice the capacity? Pretty sure 1st gens don't come in the 32 GB variety.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.