iPhone on international travel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaanee, Aug 7, 2014.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

I will be going on international travel and looking for ways to use my iphone there. It's under contract with At&t, so they don't unlock it and their international calling rates are high.
    I am applying for jobs, so would like to keep my current number active for employers to call. Is there any way/app which allows to leave the iphone here with a friend so that people can call on my current number and at least leave a voice message and I can check or receive call while outside? Can I forward my calls to international number and how does it work, does it come under local or international plan?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If you forward your calls to a number in Europe, you will be paying a fortune - at least as much as if you took the phone with you and just paid roaming prices.

Double check with AT&T to see if they'll unlock your phone. They've been pretty fair about doing so.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can use Google Voice to forward your iPhone number to and transcribed voice messages will be emailed and you can use your iPhone when you connect to Wi-Fi overseas. Put your iPhone in Airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and you won't have any AT&T charges.

4. Meg Ryann macrumors newbie

VOIP device

Another option you have is using a VOIP device. This device plugs into your computer and than allows you to use your phone. The service is easy to use and has a low cost. You can check out the prices of this device on this article that I found talking about business using a VOIP device for international calling.

http://www.business2community.com/communications/pick-phone-seal-deal-01015484

5. statik13 macrumors regular

Do they offer a travel plan? For any international travel I do I get a text, voice & data plan from my carrier. It usually runs me about $60 for a month's worth of access. You have to monitor your data use, but it is easy enough as long as you have access to wifi.