Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I will be going on international travel and looking for ways to use my iphone there. It's under contract with At&t, so they don't unlock it and their international calling rates are high.
I am applying for jobs, so would like to keep my current number active for employers to call. Is there any way/app which allows to leave the iphone here with a friend so that people can call on my current number and at least leave a voice message and I can check or receive call while outside? Can I forward my calls to international number and how does it work, does it come under local or international plan?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
If you forward your calls to a number in Europe, you will be paying a fortune - at least as much as if you took the phone with you and just paid roaming prices.

Double check with AT&T to see if they'll unlock your phone. They've been pretty fair about doing so.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I will be going on international travel and looking for ways to use my iphone there. It's under contract with At&t, so they don't unlock it and their international calling rates are high.
I am applying for jobs, so would like to keep my current number active for employers to call. Is there any way/app which allows to leave the iphone here with a friend so that people can call on my current number and at least leave a voice message and I can check or receive call while outside? Can I forward my calls to international number and how does it work, does it come under local or international plan?

You can use Google Voice to forward your iPhone number to and transcribed voice messages will be emailed and you can use your iPhone when you connect to Wi-Fi overseas. Put your iPhone in Airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and you won't have any AT&T charges.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Do they offer a travel plan? For any international travel I do I get a text, voice & data plan from my carrier. It usually runs me about $60 for a month's worth of access. You have to monitor your data use, but it is easy enough as long as you have access to wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.