Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4nr-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Göteborg, Sweden
My girlfriend is in the states right now and she's bringing back an Iphone for me. I have a couple questions concerning the iPhone:
1. I will of course unlock my iphone, and install 3rd party apps. I am however scared that installing too many apps will slow the phone down. Anybody have any experience with this?
2. After unlocking my iphone using anysim1.1, can I switch between sim cards? I will probably be moving to London next year for uni and will thus need and English sim. No problemo?
3. Which unlock method is best and most future proof? Jailbreakme or iNdependence?

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
i don't want to sound rude but all your questions have previously been answered in this forum, maybe you can use the search function.

4nr-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Göteborg, Sweden
i don't want to sound rude but all your questions have previously been answered in this forum, maybe you can use the search function.

It's good that you speak your mind. I have searched the forums for all questions except for #2 and not found an answer. #2 just popped in my head while I was writing.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
And there is no futureproof unlock for the iPhone. If you unlock your iPhone you're essentially freezing it in time because you can bet your last dollar (or 49p, depending on where you are) that Apple will break the living hell out of it with a firmware update.

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
Plus it seems that with each software update, they add more features, so eventually there'll be something they add which you want, or will be upset about missing out on...

Hellenek

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Well thank goodness for the iPhone hackers who make it possible for all of us in the rest of the world to enjoy the iPhone. I love my 1.1.1 iPhone and its performance is beyond my wildest dreams. I don't mind never having to update it and will patiently wait for the hackers to do their thing before upgrading in the future. Seeing that hacked 1.0.2 phones can now be upgraded to 1.1.1 this shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy your iPhone. Just ask your girlfriend to check for faulty screens before she leaves the store.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
My girlfriend is in the states right now and she's bringing back an Iphone for me. I have a couple questions concerning the iPhone:
1. I will of course unlock my iphone, and install 3rd party apps. I am however scared that installing too many apps will slow the phone down. Anybody have any experience with this?
Some apps aren't great but you will know once you try them and uninstall. I have had numerous apps on mine at once and experience nothing out of the ordinary.

2. After unlocking my iphone using anysim1.1, can I switch between sim cards? I will probably be moving to London next year for uni and will thus need and English sim. No problemo?

Using Anysim allows you to use any sim you choose. It's really a great application.

3. Which unlock method is best and most future proof? Jailbreakme or iNdependence?
I suggest you use independence. Installer has a program available to fix the TIFF exploit. I am just not too keen on using a web based program to jailbreak my phone. Independence has been around for a while and works flawlessly

Just remember to no auto update firmware and you'll be fine. I recall when all of the fanboys were exclaiming they would never be able to unlock 1.1.1 and voila DEV team came through. Enjoy your iphone and give a donation to the DEV team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.