Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrik

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2002
The IPSec is optional, AFAIK. I've never had to install the Bluesocket IPSec package or set it up myself, neither have any of my friends, so I've always assumed its optional.

Cool, must be then. I just wanted to make sure that you at least knew it could be a problem, but I am glad it's not. :)

minimoose said:
My college campus also has WiFi everywhere, but SADLY I cannot use it on my iPhone as it doesn't support the 802.11a protocol :[[[

Really? Of the computers I have seen only about 1 in 10 support 802.11a. Seems like a bad choice for your school to use it :(.

DubbleDuecer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
It really depends on the network setup at the campus. At the college I work at we use Bradford Campus Manager which actually requires a program to be downloaded to the computer you're trying to connect. The program verifies up to date anti-virus/spyware software as well as all the latest windows critical updates and service packs. For OS X all it really requires is the latest OS revision (10.3.9 or 10.4.10). If your campus network uses a similar authentication procedure you may be out of luck. If that is the case, you could always try sweet talking / bribing the IT staff because there is usually a way to manually enter the MAC address of the device your trying to connect to get around the registration procedures.

I second this, when i go on my campus' wifi it asks me to log in and then recognizes it is a new device and wants me to download a program to make sure my computer is up to date, and i obviously cant download that program, so i cant get on wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.