iPhone on Orange UK pay-as-you-go - free data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Digitaljim, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Digitaljim

Chaps

I recently bought an edge iPhone secondhand (just £50 - bargain eh?) and unlocked/jailbroke it on 2.1 so I could use my Orange pay-as-you-go sim card in it. All went well and it's working like a treat.

The odd thing is: I am not getting charged for data at all

I have checked my usage history via the online billing for the past few weeks now and, while it recognises the amount of data being transferred, there is no associated charge (whereas for calls, texts etc it's showing the appropriate amount)

My package is "Dolphin". Am I just lucky, or does everyone get this? It's about 10mb of data I've been given 'free' so far, from all sorts of sources (ie not Myspace or Bebo - in fact i've never visited these sites)

Anyone had a similar experience? Should I expect a massive one-off data charge in the coming days....?

2. Aurial macrumors 6502

Hmm, strange. The Orange site says you get free Facebook on your plan, it's not that is it?

In terms of receiving a massive bill for the data you've used, I don't see how they can charge you for it. You're on a pre-pay account, not a contract, and if an error has been made in charging you for the data then it's their error and not yours.

If it were me and they tried to bill me I'd say that I put £10 a month (or whatever) on my account and it's their job to monitor my spending so that I don't go over that. If they've made a mistake in limiting you to the amount of money you've agreed to spend then that's their problem.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

where the hell did you get one for 50quid from?

Aurial is right, seeing as you're on pay&go, they cannot bill you for services rendered. It's their job to charge as you use so-to-speak. So if you're not getting charged for data I'd keep quiet about it for as long as possible. And if they do start charging you eventually at least you had a good run with it and can look into getting a data plan.

4. Digitaljim thread starter macrumors regular

Digitaljim

I got it from gumtree- some Canadian girl couldn't use it with her long nails, so she sold it, apparently not knowing the value at all.

Anyway, the data's still free so I'm chuffed. I thought about getting one a few months ago, but I've ended up getting a bargain it seems.

I will report back if anything changes.

5. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

I was researching whether to get a phone on Orange (judging solely on data prices - everyone's a ripoff for calls/texts) and I couldn't find any info on their data charges! But surely it can't be free!?

And congrats on the iPhone steal, I'm not jealous at all... :(

6. applenorange macrumors newbie

applenorange

Digitaljim,

I read your post with interest as I also have been running a UK Orange EDGE iPhone on Dolphin monthly, using ONLY WiFi to get email, web, apps etc.

I'm now interested in getting data turned on but need advise on data package and most effective settings etc. as my work WiFi wont permit port access other than 80 (so no me.com email via Mail.app etc).

Obviously we are in a no-mans-land when it comes to iPony on a non approved UK carrier, but I wondered if I could pick your brains by email on settings and your typical data usage etc.

If you or ANYONE with an Orange iPhone can help, drop me a line

TIA

H
    :D

7. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

Hi, if you're asking for the Orange Data Settings for the iphone then:

Got to Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network
    Change the APN to "orangeinternet" (lowercase/one word)
    Leave the Username and Password blank.

Hope this is what you needed.

8. applenorange macrumors newbie

applenorange

well thats part of it Oliver :)

thankyou.

I wont actually try it just yet as I dont have a data bundle on my monthly account, thats the other part of my question.

How big a bundle will I need for typical email and the odd bit of surfing, everyday, anytime when I'm not near a WiFi?

:apple:

9. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I'm an Orange user too. I initially put an 8MB a month data allowance on my account, but with emails and surfing kept going over (and boy oh boy is it expensive when you do!). But, I called up and the rep I spoke to told me of an £8 a month for 200MB option for business users that could be activated on any account. I'd recommend that one. I've not come close to the limit in the slightest.
    Hope this helps.x

10. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

That's ok. In terms of usage i would agree with Spooky2k

I have a 500MB bundle but never get close to that. Last month for example i used 128MB. With that i have my mail accounts set to push and use safari quite a bit. I even used tethering a little that month so it goes quite a long way.

What contract are you on because i think all contracts over £35 are now able to get the 500MB bundle inclusive of their contract.

I just called customer service when it came out and they added the bundle to my account.

11. con500 macrumors regular

Im also with orange and my pay monthly sim is honestly the cheapest iv ever came across...Initialy tho i did no have any data allowance But last week i phoned orange to let them know i was looking to move networks ( was thinking o2 wth the internet/wifi bolt on) The guy i spoke to to aked me "why i was leaving Orange". I explained about being interested in o2s data bundle, he then came back and said I could have 500mb data added to my (already generous) package for free....So for £15 per month (Racoon 15) i get....

300 any network minutes
    100 sms texts (not great but is enough for me)
    Unlimited Landline minutes (this i use all the time..Magic):D
    500mb data allowance (not part of the plan but added for free)

This all for £15...I reckon this is a Result ;)

12. applenorange macrumors newbie

applenorange

Dolphin 35, (500mins / unltd txt)
    with no other bundles (yet)

:)

13. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

That sound like an amazing deal... I feel like i'm being ripped off now, haha.

14. con500 macrumors regular

Lol. Tell me about it mate, i keep thinking they made a ballsup somewhere but iv had it now for a good few mnths so is all good :D

15. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

Good luck. Let us know how you get on! :)

Haha, I must be speaking with the wrong operators when i call!

16. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I'm on Dolphin 35. Would that qualify? It seems to be on the border (maybe why I haven't been offered it?)

17. con500 macrumors regular

Ye spook, i think dolphin 35 automatically entitles you to 500mb data access :D

18. applenorange macrumors newbie

applenorange

and I take it that "500mb data access" is all you need for email on the move, web on the move, app store on the move? etc

very confused over Oranges terms such as:
    Orange World Access, Orange Mobile Broadband, Orange browsing :(

...just want to make my iPhone work in a non O2 world :D

19. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Aces. I'll call them up ASAP and request it (for the two-ish months before I jump ship for the new iPhone).

20. con500 macrumors regular

500mb seems (from what iv read on other forums) to be more than enough and most people do not even come close to using their limit...For myself i have only been using the data for little over a week, and it feels like i have really been hammering the email, browsing, web based apps etc. Till now ive clocked up 63mb

Orange world access is just their platform for the www.

Mobile Broadband is a usb dongle to with a set ammount of data usualy 3gb per month that allows internet access on a laptop (or desktop) when there is no access to a landline broadband connection, and nothing to do with mobile phone browsing.

sorry it could be explained better but think you get where im comming from

21. applenorange macrumors newbie

applenorange

well I gave them a call last night and had the 500mb data access added, however it cost me a fiver a month (not the end of the world).

Now I've got it added (and active I'm assured), I've changed my
    Cellular Data Network APN to orangeinternet, no username, no password.....but I'm not getting any life on the network front :(

just the Cheerio symbol next to the word Orange :confused:

UPDATE: following some research I performed a
    Settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings
    and ALL is now working! :)

by all accounts I've only lost any WiFi passwords & network names, but instantly I'm able to surf and email over the Orange data bundle....painfully slow, but I believe thats cause I only have the Cheerio symbol up (which indicates the iPhone has access to a data connection over a GSM network using GPRS technology) and not E for EDGE technology.

...guess that will come when I'm in an EDGE zone

THANX to everyone's posts on this one,

you all ROCK! :D

22. carl32 macrumors newbie

Is there a data plan so you can buy more internet usage as a bundle for orange pay as you go apart from dolphin?