iPhone on Orange (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsdickinson, Apr 28, 2009.

1. jsdickinson macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently renewed my contract on Orange on Dolphin 30 (18 months) which gives me 400 mins and unlimited texts and I have paid an extra £5/month for weekend and evening internet.

With my upgrade I got a free SE C905 which seemed like a good step up from my K810 but I have been disappointed as it just has a better camera. The GPS does not work with Google Maps and the interface is very slow.

I am about to turn some holiday at work into cash which should raise about £300. Really tempted to get an iPhone as have been very impressed by my mates.

So was wondering what the best way to go about this is? O2 PAYG and unlock it or pick up a factory unlocked off of Ebay? Should I wait a few months for the update?

Thanks for the help

2. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am an Orange employee and a keen Apple / iPhone fan, so I sympathise with your situation entirely.

I have an Orange account which I use for business and personal (supplied by Orange) so I can't get rid, but would love to get the iPhone 3G.

I have a 2G iPhone which I'm currently running unlocked using Pwnage Tool which works great, but am getting tired of the 2G (EDGE if I'm lucky) speeds and would like to upgrade. However at this late stage, and with all the rumors and comments from Phil Schiller regarding the iPhone product cycle, I think I'm gonna hold out and see if we get a new version over the summer. It's only 6 and a half weeks until the WWDC, and with recent Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and Palm announcements, Apple will undoubtedly start to leak some more info "wet" our appetites for the new iPhone.

To answer your question though, I would recommend buying a new one from the shops (Carphone Warehouse or O2 Retail) and then using the tools online - YellowSnow - to unlock and use with your existing Orange account.

I have monitored the prices on eBay since the iPhone 3G's launch last year and they're not very good. They all seem overpriced for an unlocked phone.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

3. sallythemac Guest

*whet

By now all the stock CPW stores have are pre-loaded with 2.2.1 and therefore the baseband is not software unlockable using Yellow Snow. Only way around would be a turbo SIM.

4. larapumkin macrumors regular

wow, iphone in orange?
    thats what i want for my 3g