iPhone on other networks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lorelai, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Lorelai macrumors member

Long shot, I know but... What is the likelihood of the iPhone becoming available on another network (specifically Verizon) in the near future? I am (obviously ;) ) on Verizon and can't switch to another network. Time for the "new every two" and I just want to make sure that the iPhone won't be coming in January. ;)

2. celticpride678

Won't be for the next 6 months at least. I really don' think it will go to Verizon for another few years, which really is not fun:(

3. christyn macrumors 6502a

Very unlikely IMO.

I don't see Apple making a CDMA phone by next summer.

4. Lorelai thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. :) I figured it was probably with AT&T for a while longer, but thought I'd check just to be on the safe side. I would have been kicking myself if I got my new phone and the iPhone suddenly became available on Verizon. ;)

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

You have a better chance of seeing a Pre on Verizon by Christmas.

6. christyn macrumors 6502a

AT&T has exclusive with Apple until next summer. After that it COULD open up to other carriers if AT&T doesn't get their way and the exclusive contract ends there.

But it's a lot more likely to go to tmobile than to verizon since they're gsm.

7. JonboyDC macrumors regular

But it could only go to Verizon if Apple decides to make a CDMA phone for one carrier. And then only if Verizon gives up their insistence on controlling all the software on the phones they sell.

8. JrMac macrumors newbie

Since it appears Apple will not produce a CDMA phone and their agreement with AT&T lasts until next Summer, I don't think we'll see the iPhone's availability expand beyond AT&T for some time. T-mobile is a possible carrier because they are GSM-based, but no Verizon until 2011. It appears that AT&T and Verizon will both have LTE 4G networks up and (hopefully) running by then.

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

100% agreed.

10. Morn macrumors 6502

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, I don't see Apple supporting that dying standard.
    Tmobile is using the wrong frequency and would require Apple pick a different 3G chipset, but the current one does a good job of supported many carriers all around the world so...
    I figure Apple is going to stick with AT&T until LTE networks are rolled out, so think say... 2014.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Or two carriers, if they hit Sprint as well.

Verizon doesn't control or censor smartphone software. They allow anything to be downloaded and used, including Slingbox and VOIP.

You must be thinking of ATT control and Apple censorship ;)

12. vm7118 macrumors regular

actually, verizon has a universal policy of selling phones from ANY manufacturer with their own "red" tailored, overtly branded, and usually crippled OS.

ATT has no control over what is downloaded on an iphone, nor any "censorship". in fact, ATT has NOTHING to do with the phone itself, only the subscription.

verizon uses an irregular, outdated, obsolete technology and forces manufacturers to cede control over software and capability.

and verizon's CDMA phones don't play nicely with inter-network interoperability. international texts rarely work, long texts sent/received with GSM phones even in the states rarely work properly, while ATT/tmobile's GSM networks have no problem handling all that.

verizon's ONLY advantage is having more towers... but that is a smaller and smaller gap every day. ATT/tmobile, on the other hand, offer sim cards (pop in/out), GSM network (international travel/roaming), better future speeds, more devices (acquired from anywhere in the world, not just the operator).

13. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

It's all about LTE 4G....or is it?

It's rumored that Apple is working on a "media pad" that lets you listen to music, view photos, and watch high-definition video. It would also allow you to place calls via Wi-Fi connection.

If this rumored iPhone like "non iPhone" was not able to make cellular calls it may be a way to get passed the iPhone's AT&T exclusivity contracts, which clearly states it covers "all models" of the iPhone. Interesting enough rumor considering Verizon is already playing around with VOIP on its Verizon Hub.

At the end of the day I personally don't see Apple with Verizon before LTE is truly deployed and working. A big reason they didn't go Verizon from the start was that they didn't want to make 2 versions of an iPhone - one for CDMA and one for the rest of the world. This more or less would be like making 2 iPhones just that one relies solely (and poorly considering true mobility) on wifi to be a phone. This is a fun rumor to toss around nonetheless.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Err.. no. This thread is about smartphones.

While Verizon does set up their dumbphones with the same UI (so users don't have to relearn menus when they change phones), they do NOT mess with their smartphone UIs (WM, RIM). Those UIs are wide open to whatever app or theme the user wishes.

Apparently you've missed some major recent iPhone events.

Slingplayer banned on 3G = ATT exerts control. Adults apps = Apple censorship.

15. Morn macrumors 6502

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347071,00.asp
    "Verizon Wireless made their plans for their LTE network a wee bit clearer in a generally dull conference call Wednesday, with chief executive Lowell McAdam saying that the network would launch commercially in 20-30 markets during "the second half of 2010," with "nationwide buildout complete in late 2013 to early 2014."
    Apple is not gonna being supporting CDMA, so they'll want to wait for the full roll out.... so lets see, iPhone 8.0 by the time it's on verizon. ;) So better get used to AT&T or move country. ;)

16. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Locked iPhone 3G with AT&T vs. Unlocked iPhone 3G with T-Mobile in US

What is the major difference besides the monthly payment?

If you're with T-Mobile, what do you miss the most for not being with the official iPhone carrier AT&T?

17. sal macrumors 6502

i don't see what the whole fuss is about. I am quite happy on At&t and not dying to move over to verizon or sprint. I moved from sprint and although I was happy with them, At&t has treated me good as a customer so I am happy.

18. Morn macrumors 6502

T-Mobile, will just give you EDGE.
    iPhone's chipset does not support the odd frequency they use for 3G, 1700mhz for the uplink. They were unable to purchase enough 2100mhz spectrum because it was largely already allocated and are only using 2100mhz for the downlink.
    Maybe iPhone 4.0 or something, if they can find a good quad band 3G chipset with 1700mhz, if such even exists.
    Of course judging by their frequencies, their 3G network would probably be even less reliable than AT&T.
    But supporting T-Mobile would add competition and likely result in cheaper iPhone's.