Iphone on plane?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terp26, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terp26 macrumors newbie

I know this was discussed awhile ago, but anyone recently have to put away their iphone on a plane even if it were in airplane mode?

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I haven't had anyone even ask about it. I think most Flight Attendents think it is just an iPod.

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think that under current regulations it, like any electronic device, has to be off below 10,000 ft (on either takeoff or landing), but above 10,000 feet (once the pilot gives permission) it can be on but only in airplane mode. So, even though there is an 'airplane mode', don't expect that you can use it in that mode throughout the flight. All electronic devices are supposed to be off when you're below the 10,000 ft ceiling.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

no. took a cross-country flight a couple of weeks ago on american airlines - no such requests from flight attendants while using my iphone in airplane mode...

5. paduck macrumors 6502

I have flown several times with my iPhone. The flight attendents make an announcement before takeoff that all electronic devices have to be turned off. At some point after takeoff, they announce that "you can now use approved electronic devices." I take this to mean non-transmitters (ie- your iPhone in airplane mode). There is probably a more formal definition, but that is good enough for me. When the plane goes on approach, they ask you to turn off everthing. Once you land, they tell you when you can turn on phones.

6. crusher macrumors member

I used my SE W810i to take photos on approach. It doesn't even have a flight-mode...
    There are so many electro-magnetic waves in the air, that if an airplane can't handle an iPhone it better not leaves the ground.

7. .adam macrumors regular

8. rayward macrumors 68000

I'm sure your fellow passengers are happy that you are so cavalier about their safety.

The electronics thing may be B.S., but who the hell are you to unilaterally decide that it doesn't apply to you?

9. rayward macrumors 68000

I fly a lot and I've never had the iPhone questioned. Just remember to switch it into airline mode before powering down. That way, when you boot it up again in the air, all the transmitters are already off.

One feature I like is that is that, when you fire it up again on the ground, there's a pop-up to suggest cancelling airline mode. There's no need to navigate through the menus, just click the "disable" option to fire up the transmitters.

10. crusher macrumors member

Well, I asked the flight attendance for another seat to take photos. She probably didn't know about the phone-part, but was definetely aware of the electronic-part.

11. kevd00d macrumors member

i also fly a lot and have never been asked about my iphone...i think most flight attendants consider it an ipod, and if they do ask about it you can explain 'airplane mode' to them

12. rayward macrumors 68000

Did you tell them you were going to take photos during landing? With a "live" camera-phone?

The other issue is that loose things in the cabin will fly around if it gets bumpy, which is why everything has to be properly stowed before landing. No one wants to get smacked in the face by a flying camera-phone.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Flew Southwest to OKC...

roundtrip from Oakland, CA, and had it on Airplane Mode both trips and watched three movies total. Never a problem, at least on Southwest Airlines. :cool:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right. This thread is done....

As you've noticed probably, the thread in PRSI was also closed.

Members who wish to discuss the issue of whether the FAA or other governing bodies should regulate short-range wireless devices in air, who are eligible to post in PRSI, and who can engage in a CIVIL discussion, may start a new thread there if they wish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.