iPhone on Rogers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kunze50, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kunze50 macrumors regular

This is a question that has probably popped up a lot in these forums. Once you unlock an iPhone, how do you go about getting a plan and use a Rogers Wireless sim card? What plan do you get and how does the Sim card come into play? Is the Sim Card purchased separate?
    Another question a bit off topic: Does Safari work out of the box over Wi-Fi?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You just take out the sim from your rogers cellphone and stick it into the iphone.
    Thats offcourse after you unlocked/hacked your iphone.
    Then if you want to use the EDGE you get a plan or activate web service to your service thru rogers or dont get any data plan and just use the internet when you're on Wifi.
    Im not sure if wifi will work out of the box. The iPhone might need activation/unlocking before it will let you do anything on it.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

1. Setup a new Rogers account and get a cheap/free phone.
    2. Buy an iPhone
    3. Run Pwnage/iLiberty/ziphone on the iphone to unlock it.
    4. Put the sim card from your new Rogers phone in your iPhone.
    5. Make calls, send texts and rack up huge data bills. Sell your cheap/free phone to help pay for it.

4. f1 macrumors 6502

If your planning to use Safari in places without WiFi be prepared to dig deep. Rogers charges a LOT of money for data, and Rogers offers nothing compared to all you can eat plans that AT&T offers for their iPhone customers.

5. jasonbrennan macrumors member

Don't worry about getting charged for insane data usage on Rogers....this only happens IF you sign up for a data plan!

When you get a normal phone plan with Rogers, (like MY5 or something), it doesn't come with DATA by default.

Now if you do decide to get a dataplan, yes, expect to pay through the nose.

6. kunze50 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, Good to know, so any old Rogers phone will have a sim; I just had no clue how to get one. Thanks for the replies. I take it a Rogers data plan is not worth it. Once active though WiFi at home and in public should work?

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Yeah, once you hacktivate, Wifi will work even without a sim card in the phone.

8. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Just a note, Rogers has an unlimited Data plan that i do believe goes for 20 bucks a month extra.

9. f1 macrumors 6502

Its not a data plan. Its a plan that allows you to use a WAP browser on CERTAIN ROGERS BRANDED handsets, it excludes non rogers branded phones and Rogers branded smartphones. Plan also does not cover downloading and third party apps. basically not compatible with an iPhone.

10. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Oh, my mistake, I read it over on Engadget I do believe and they were saying that this new plan may be signs of the Iphone finally being released in Canada. I guess I'm still stuck waiting. Hurry up apple and release it here! It's killing me to not have it. Don't let me suffer on bell for much longer.

11. EngBrian macrumors regular

I haven't used an iphone on rogers but you can just buy a sim card from rogers. They charge something like $20 (that's what it was a year ago). My friends have done this with other unlocked gsm phones. Then just get whatever plan works for you. No need to buy/get a phone just for the sim card.

Brian

12. clockwrkz macrumors newbie

Just buying the sim card only is $40.

For a data plan there is a PC card data plan which is $65 for 1 gig of data per month.

13. murc585 macrumors regular

yeah, the only decent data plan Rogers has to offer that would work well would be the $65 dollar data plan that gives you 1GB, and that should be more than enough with EDGE's speed. I don;t think you should even bother.

I jsut grabbed my iphone 2 weeks ago down in Novi, then I went to rogers and got myself a my5 25 plan with some long distance minutes and the $11 value pack. If you don;t need your email and maps 24/7 there's no point, 80% of the time I am in locations with wifi. If you are concerned with maps, there is even a program that lets you use it offline. If you make a new rogers contract, you'll probably get a free phone, i did, beats paying $40 for a sim, plus i sold the phone for $75.

If you are really concerned with data, wait till July or June and get the 3G phone, from what I've read it seems that EDGE is dreadfully slow.

Also, if you don;t want to use EDGE, make sure to call Rogers and disable EDGE on the sim, just in case the iPhone decides it wants to surf the net.

14. wiseguy macrumors member

wiseguy

Just talked to Data Department

It make sense, Rogers is asking Apple to compress the data like on the Blackberry so it would take less data bandwidth. So far when you surf on the net from Safari on iPhone it's sucking so too much data.

So I guess, as long as Apple won't compress more, we won't get iPhone in Canada.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For what it's worth, my iPhone says I've used about 400MB down and 43MB up on EDGE since I got it about a month ago.

Wonder why the rest of the world can use data services without needing compression. :p Rogers, Rogers, Rogers. You Canadians deserve fancy phones too! :)

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That Rogers claim is nonsense.
    Data shouldnt be that expensive. Its not Crude oil :D

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The only difference between unlocking the iPhone / using it on the Rogers network vs Apple officially selling the iPhone to customers on Rogers is the warranty.

Do people actually think the Rogers will lower it's rates when Apple starts officially selling the iPhone in Canada ?

18. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I just got my roommates iPhone working on Rogers and he didn't have to worry about EDGE because none of the server data was already on the phone from the SIM. ie, unless he enters the goam, username, password, and other server data in his iPhone, he has no way of using EDGE anyway. It works great on WiFi as soon as we activated/pwned it.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eventually, I find it hard to believe they would not adopt pricing comparable to the rest of the world or get booted by the government... They can't charge 1985 cellular prices forever, can they?

20. f1 macrumors 6502

whos going to stop them?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Should be Goverment regulated.
    Either that or competition but outrageous prices like that dont even compare to the rest of the world.

22. murc585 macrumors regular

eventually we will get new competition, its this stupid system access fee thats killing us too. Hopefully Telus doesn;t pass up their billion dollar deal on switching to GSM, their data plans are much better. I'm stuck with rogers for another 3 years, lets hope competition brings their prices down.

23. f1 macrumors 6502

Competition doesn't do much in Canada, look at the US they have the same number of carriers as we do, 2 big GSM and 2 big CDMA operators in both coutnries and a bunch of regional operators.

Canada:
    Rogers
    Fido (Yes i know they are the same company now but they cater to two different markets with different pricing options and operate independently of each other)

Bell
    Telus
    Bunch of MVNOs and Regionals

US:
    AT&T
    T-Mobile

Sprint
    Verizon
    Bunch of MVNOs and Regionals

Not a lot of competition in the US either, but yet they have better pricing, something else is going on up here.

24. igglepuff macrumors regular

they no longer offer it as of the other week. If you get a nice rep you may get lucky, however they are asking for yoru aircard # now, and most reps will jsut say we cant do it, FORCING you to get the $80 for 500mb WM plan *cough lame*

QUOTE: (whoever said) lowering prices if av. in canada?

ROgers reps ahve said many times, which would only make sense, that if it becomes available and (ie: apple stops being greedy and rogers also do..) then they will offer iphone pacakges including data ad much ebtter prices. Will it mean overall data price srops? who knows. they all say they will offer data iphone packages though, at acceptable prices. Until then... everyone here in canada is sccrewed :/ (i paid the 65$ with 15 discount for the 1gb but after only using 400mb in 2 months i said screw wasting money. who NEEDS to use the internet when they are out that much .. myself, at home i have wifi, work wifi, if im out with friends i dont need to be unsociable and use teh inet a bunch :p Ill look soemthign up occasionally, thats it really)

25. igglepuff macrumors regular

However, there IS competition in the us. there is not in canada, period. Fido, as mentioned, is owned by rogers. they have very, VERY similar prices fo ra reason. Neither has cheaper data to make it worth changing. When rogers releases new packages, they do on both carriers the same day. SO, basically, there's no competition, they dont care to try to beat them selvs where as the US both gsm atleast care to try to ahve a better price/package