Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
So essentially Sprint will soon have almost the same coverage as Verizon I believe around a 3% difference which you really won't notice.

I don't know where you got that little nugget, but that's one of the best jokes I've heard in a while. Sprint will "soon" have almost the same coverage as Verizon? Did a Sprint rep tell you that? Did they also tell you that Sprint will "soon" have LTE deployed across their entire network? Soon in Sprint's world could mean a month from now or sometime in the next decade.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Well against the recommendations of the board I jumped in with Sprint and got the 5. With my 23% discount it's going to come to $74 total with taxes a month. My iphone 5 was only $99 because I ported from verizon.

I have 14 days to take back so we will see. So far no problems. All my bars in most of my house. Three in my basement office where I was only getting one or two with verizon. Data sucks but I knew that going in. Only getting about .3 or so. Enough for email, twitter, and navigation. Have 50mbps down at home which is also my office.

Hopefully the upgrades (new vision) happen soon and then LTE. Not holding my breath.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
Well against the recommendations of the board I jumped in with Sprint and got the 5. With my 23% discount it's going to come to $74 total with taxes a month. My iphone 5 was only $99 because I ported from verizon.

I have 14 days to take back so we will see. So far no problems. All my bars in most of my house. Three in my basement office where I was only getting one or two with verizon. Data sucks but I knew that going in. Only getting about .3 or so. Enough for email, twitter, and navigation. Have 50mbps down at home which is also my office.

Hopefully the upgrades (new vision) happen soon and then LTE. Not holding my breath.

You're willing to keep service with speeds of .3mbps down? You might as well just get AT&T and the 300mb data plan or something prepaid if you are that concerned about saving money.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
You're willing to keep service with speeds of .3mbps down? You might as well just get AT&T and the 300mb data plan or something prepaid if you are that concerned about saving money.

I did three speed tests when I was out and about today...

This to be honest is about no different than what my Verizon 4S was getting. So I can't stream video when I'm out and about? In the car I was able to access navigation, listen to iHeartRadio, and browse just fine. At home and work I'm on WIFI.

And if Sprint gets network vision in here soon, I should be able to get over 1mpbs, which is better than Verizon 3G in my area.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012

This to be honest is about no different than what my Verizon 4S was getting. So I can't stream video when I'm out and about? In the car I was able to access navigation, listen to iHeartRadio, and browse just fine. At home and work I'm on WIFI.

And if Sprint gets network vision in here soon, I should be able to get over 1mpbs, which is better than Verizon 3G in my area.

As a current Sprint subscriber, I would return the device and go elsewhere. I am in NYC and NV has been going on since last year. Now there are tons and tons of towers here so it takes a while but while they upgrade the towers, you will have huge!!! huge!!! service issues. Dropped calls and even worse data speeds than what you are showing; if it works at all. I came from verizon too because it's data speeds were worse where I worked compared to Sprint. But I wasn't expecting connection issues and dropped calls while the upgrades were happening. At least not all over the city. That's 1 year of issues you will have to deal with. I would come back later if I could do it again but now i am locked in till end of 2014.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty abysmal speeds. I'm sure straighttalk would have better speeds and coverage.
2q1cuub.png

Network Vision says hi.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ha, too bad that doesn't happen everywhere. You can average double that with ST easily.

NV is a joke. Months behind schedule and constant excuses
The AT&T network is not that good here, I averaged around 2.5-3Mbps on AT&T not a huge difference and my ping times are far lower now on Sprint so everything seems faster.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Here is the thing, I'm always on WIFI at home and work (same place). Really in the end, I need data for a little web surfring when I'm out and about and for GPS. Honestly, I average only about 1GB a month, and that comes for maybe a little online radio when I'm in the car.

I'm probably more worried about the reception and calls, which you are saying is still pretty good?

Here's my opinion. If you only use 1GB of data I suggest you go to Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T. Honestly Sprint isn't worth the hassle. Plus AT&T and Verizon are the best carriers with reception and I think sprint is the worst. Majority of people only go to sprint because of the cheap prices and unlimited data. If you want crappy reception, extremely slow data and unreliable customer service go to sprint. If you want something half way decent then pick one of the other three services. Just my opinion.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013

Is there any particular reason why you're not getting the iPhone 5? Verizon pretty much has more LTE than Sprint does 3G these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.