iPhone on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laptoplover2, Nov 20, 2011.

1. laptoplover2 macrumors member

I was thinking since I'm normally a pre-paid user with my phone,

Say I got a T-Mobile Pre-Paid phone and it has the sim card and what not.
    If I got an unlocked iPhone 4S, could I put the T-Mobile sim card in it and get T-Mobile service?

Just curious because I would really want an iPhone but I don't wanna get locked into a contract or anything.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, you can do that. You will not get 3G speeds because T-Mobile uses 3G frequencies not supported by iPhone. There are other limitations, I think facetime needs some sort of work-around to function and some sort of problem with MMS.

There is a how-to guide here, didn't find it in a short search but probably someone has it bookmarked and will provide it.

3. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

I hope never.

I switched to them after 8 years with ATT, and having worked at various levels in the wireless industry for years, and it was the most pathetic experience I can ever remember. It lasted 3 mos before I said enough is enough. Tired of dealing with people who don't speak the native language of the customer, crappy service, and a company who deserves to be assimilated into nothing. The people who work there should all be fired.

The company I switched to? Bilingual call centers with people who can actually communicate, about the same every month, and not one of the "Big 3."

I won't EVER recommend T-Mobile to anyone. Pathetic.

4. Greg M macrumors 6502

I love T-Mobile and would go back to them in a heartbeat if they got the iPhone. I'd jump ship from AT&T, pay the ETF, and go back if they get the iPhone. They've got the best rates and customer service. I've never had any problems with their coverage.

5. macinnv macrumors regular

I'm sure being bilingual is a plus for working in a call center. At least T-Mobile keeps their call centers US based.

6. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Not true at all. Many are in India now. That was my problem. In contacting store and district employees, no one wanted to deal with the issues so enough was enough.

Truly pathetic.

I had to call them more in 3 mos than 8 years with ATT.

You get what you pay for. I hope the merger doesn't go through and they sink on second thought.

7. macinnv macrumors regular

Hmm I've had the opposite experience. AT&T call center workers sound foreign. Every time I call T-Mobile it's always someone from the US. And I've been a T-Mobile customer for over 10 years

8. omegle macrumors newbie

I've dealt with a few T-Mobile reps with heavy southern accents, but none so far have been overseas.

That guy who hates T-Mobile probably works for a competing phone provider.

9. Lucky736 macrumors 6502a

Lucky736

Not at all. In looking into this looks like this is only for those on their new 4G Unlimited plans.

Looks like existing contract plans are still US.

Either way pathetic.

I could care less what company I am with as long as my service works.

A few weeks ago they had an 8 hour "Global Voicemail Outage," that's right, the whole network.

Pathetic.

I never had these issues with ATT or my current carrier.