iPhone on Vacation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mashinhead, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

First I want to say I did run a search on this before hand but this keyword search isn't efficient and returns too many results for me to go through so sorry if this was covered.

So i'm going on Xmas vacation to Europe. First overseas trip with my iphone. usually i just get a local sim and drop it in and i'm good to go. But not so easy with the iphone.

So i just wanted to get some advice on the best way to deal with it before i go.

I would love to unlock and use an overseas sim for the vacation and relock it if possible, but i don't really want to risk it getting bricked if that's too much trouble.

Also i don't want data roaming charges at all. So info on how to deal with that would be great too. Thanks.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

settings / general / network / data roaming, turn it off ...

In my mind thats the safest way to do it ... no unlocking, and no crazy charges over seas (although you won't be able to do online stuff outside of a wifi spot)

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

When I went to Europe, I turned off Data roaming, and bought a European Data plan from AT&T. It was something like 50 megs for $59.99. When I wanted to check my email, or go online, I turned back on Data Roaming, and turned it back off when I was done. Just make sure you reset your usage info before you go, so you can closely monitor your data usage, and not go over the 50 megs.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I would keep it off at all times. if you really need to check your e-mail etc I'm sure you can find a place nearby that has internet / wifi.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree with one above who said to add the $60 AT&T international data roaming, and then monitor it carefully.

6. bimbels macrumors newbie

I do exactly what Drumjim said, and i go to Europe every week. (In fact, I'm going today. ;) )

Do you really think you'd use the phone to call the states alot? I've found that I almost rarely do. The occasional call to check in won't break you. I text instead if I really need to.

7. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

no i don't call the states. i get a local number and make local calls.

8. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

so i'm here and i've take your guys' advice. but i have a question. the phone is picking up local cell carriers and even says there is a new email even though data roaming is off. That means it should NEVER connect, am I right? Am i being charged for that? If so how do i turn it off completly? Can you access Visual Voicemail through wifi is that why its showing up? I don't want to comeback and have some insane bill.