iPhone on Vacation...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murc585, Apr 13, 2008.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

I just got my iPhone yesterday in the states (I am Canadian) and I'm leaving for France in about a week and I will be there for 2 weeks. I was hoping the use of SIM cards would be useful for vacation on the iPhone.

I was wondering if any of you have ever brought your iPhone overseas and what you did to get full use out of it. Its unlocked so I can go with any GSM provider. I was thinking Orange, since they provide the iPhone service there.

Have any of you brought your iPhone specifically to France and got some kind of prepaid voice and data plan there so you could use Maps? What would I need to do for this, I am just new with the concept of SIM cards, can anybody help me out here?

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

You can get location based SIM cards which will be cheaper to use. The one thing that I would watch very closely is the use of data on the GSM network. If you use a SIM foreign to the country it could cost you a large amount of money.

3. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

I don;t really want to keep my sim. I'd rather get a prepaid card there in france and see if they have a dataplan on them. My french is getting weaker everyday and their websites are overwhelming, maybe i'll send them an email and find out.