iPhone on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jaromellz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Jaromellz macrumors newbie

Why can't Apple make a CDMA version and a GSM version iPhone? Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, etc. all make phones for both formats.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, but Apple doesn't care. As long as they don't care, they'll never do it. xMac and Tablet, anyone?

Verizon's going GSM in 2-3 years. Hold off your complaining until then.

For the record, the only reason I'm unable to use my iPhone is that our family's on Verizon and my mom particularly likes and trusts the service. If it means waiting twoish years to use my iPhone, I will. I can stand having a piece-of-craphone in college for two years... I guess...

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Is AT&T going to be ready for LTE in 2 - 3 years? They seem to be moving at a snails pace getting 3G out nationwide.

4. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Technically Apple could, of course.

And certainly Apple would love the extra sales, as evidenced by their long talks with Verizon, originally hoping to have both them and ATT onboard.

But in the end, Apple agreed to a multi-year exclusive with ATT in return for royalties, control over sales and warranties, etc.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Yes, they are. LTE is a GSM standard.

Wikipedia Article

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Seems like CDMA is always their afterthought, though. GSM gets all of the cool phones a lot quicker than CDMA. Probably has something to do with GSM having 80% of the marketshare?

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

9. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

CDMA = HD DVD

It's a dead format.

Same with 3G. I think that we won't ever see a 3G iPhone. I'm guessing that AT&T and Apple's plan is to have nationwide Wi-Fi. Plus a 3G matters to whom exactly? That's right nobody.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

From my understanding LTE can work on any network as it is IP based.

W-CDMA is still widely used, unless you are just going to discount the rest of the world just cause AT&T is slow to upgrade. AT&T is going to move to LTE but needs UTMS to be done first. Nation wide WiFi sounds just like WiMAX.

11. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

LOL - Yes iPhone and Verizon will never be together.
    Look @ the sidekick, it hasn't left T-Mobile.. I remember back when there was lots of speculation for it to come to Verizon as well. Not going to happen.

12. Shlomtzion macrumors newbie

GSM and LTE are not the same!

Are really that thick??!

1. GSM - Old technologey(named technically - TDMA - Time Divsion ... ) which was replaced by the CDMA , stop , the ones who didn't want to go quallcom and wanted to create a link to the past somehow (which made the technology much less efficient than the CDMA2000....) went W-CDMA - which now turns to LTE which is somewhat a succesor of the GSM more by paper than by tech...

LTE - is 4G of UMTS which is 3G thats called W-CDMA which is a ripp off the CDMA so you can say that quallcom lost the battle (since UMB - which is also much faster then LTE lost... ) however verzion can move easily to LTE instead of the UMB since it's pretty much close - both are CDMA based tech.

GSM is no longer being developed ...

So stop saying wrong things...

CDMA - (the GPS sattelite system way of communication - every Verizon/sprint/CDMA2000 phone has GPS and allways right clock...- synchronized deployment.) the loser is the CDMA2000 vs. W-CDMA - and it lost because Quallcom were dicks and gready...

but they offered the better tech. which has nothing to do with gadgets like camera's or fm or BT that can come without a cell even!

13. Shlomtzion macrumors newbie

BTW: iPHONE and Verizon

The only reason why there's no iPHONE on CDMA2000 or verizon... is:

Apple first came and offered verizon to work with them and manufature the iPHONE for Verizon and with their support in knowledge of the tech. - as a 3G device.... since Verizon is still the largest network in the U.S and one of the biggest in the world .

However the response they got was surprising however understandable to all and little dissapointing to apple and the CDMA2000 - market.....

they said NO since they have signed with LG and MOTO to create the new iPHONE killers lineup - which came out right after the release of the iPHONE.

Right or Wrong on Verizon side? - I can't really say... since apple was a sure thing and maybe because they were planning on combining the LTE with their exsiting CDMA2000 1X RTT EV-DO Rev.A net they prsumed to add the iPHONE even if not driectly sold as a Verizon device... the next Gen iPHONE will be able to work on any LTE or UMTS style network probably... than you will see and iPHONE on Verizon.

Things change ... - You play a combined and official Sonic and Mario games on the Wii (Nintendo) and PS2 maybe even XBOX these days - and they were arch rivals ... however SEGA stopped making Consoles so the Sonic title can now be sold to others since its not for selling a console device ...

14. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

This is the same reason why people were never able to give up AOL even after they were obsolete people still choose to pay for their service. You can say Verizon is the AOL of cell phones.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats one crazy post!

16. josepho macrumors regular

Not to be picky, but as we're trying to get everything accurate, GSM is not technically named TDMA. In (mainly) North America, there were for a period four competing technologies: GSM (T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular), CDMA (Verizon, Sprint), TDMA (AT&T, Cingular) and iDen (Nextel). (NB, this is before the AT&T/Cingular and Sprint/Nextel deals, and despite talking about "North America" I realise I have totally neglected Canada. Sorry.). TDMA wasn't ever really as good as CDMA or GSM, but it did offer backwards compatibility with AMPS, which was the analogue standard in use (and, I believe, still in use in some areas), so it made sense for people who lived in areas where there wasn't necessarily always digital coverage.

TDMA, at least in the context I have been using above, refers to IS-54 and IS-136 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS-136). You would be right in saying that GSM makes use of the time-division multiple access (TDMA) system, but it mixes this with FDMA (frequency division multiple access) to share spectrum between users, so it wouldn't really be accurate to say that GSM = TDMA.

17. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

so you have an iphone (reading your signature) but you dont use it?

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon and Apple parted ways after a year of talks because Verizon didn't want to give up control over sales, warranties, nor give up the ability sell their own audio/video/ringtones/apps.

AT&T basically didn't care about those things, but since they had no competition once Verizon backed out, they got Apple to give them a multi-year contract.

19. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

20. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Although I think this is a funny comparison, I don't think you can really call Verizon the AOL of cell phones. AOL is getting to be obsolete, not changing much with their service and all, but still has a strong consumer base. Verizon appears to be steadily increasing their consumer base, as well as their offered services. I loved/trusted Verizon services. Just my 2cents anyway.

21. Shlomtzion macrumors newbie

josepho - you are almost right and yet completly wrong...

And I would Say it Again! : GSM=TDMA - GSM are only initials for the marketing and throws people off the tech...

GSM (Global System for Mobile communication) is a digital mobile telephone system that is widely used in Europe and other parts of the world. GSM uses a variation of Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA)

same thing as the UMTS - just initials created by people who stole or didnt want to pay for the patent holders of CDMA2000 then instead of calling it W-CDMA which is not confusing at all to what kind of tech it is... its changed to umts... and the people love it... :(

Do confuse marketing tricks and reality that bites! GSM is DEAD and will never come back .

cept' those wi-fi/wimax which will probably not be for cell use at all... (the CDMA/W-CDMA market is much stronger...) they will be entered in as a togther thingey and im not sure thats such a good or even smart idea.....

understand : UMTS=W-CDMA (it's just a ripp-off and not agood one of CDMA2000) now EV-DO is CDMA2000 ... HSDPA again another name and initials for yet again WCDMA... etc etc etc...

OFDMA - is the next level ... and still these are alll CDMA based systemss!

those EDGE/GSM/TDMA/whattevva are long gone and only ruiening the cdma with the backwards support....

4G is either CDMA based - LTE and UMB(which probably wont and is actually the fastest - much like comparing between REV.A of EV-DO and any HSDPA/UPA....

CDMA is much alive and it actually kicked all out!.... WIMAX will be combined with cdma..

oh and jbuckner since no one said it before... hmmmm... you'r talking Sh#$$%it........................................so stop you might make some people stupid just for reading what you wrote.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dang...

makes me want to read what "jbuckner" said, but I won't waste my time! :cool: