iPhone on virgin mobile supertab

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samk8000, Dec 16, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

Can you get an iPhone on the virgin mobile supertab without the data plan. If not are there any carriers that would let me get an iPhone without a data plan and not having to pay the full $700 or whatever.

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Depends on where you plan to buy the phone.

3. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

4. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

5. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

I just dont want to spend 1800 over the course of 3 years. I could do $40/month though

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm pretty sure you can since you're not on a fix term contract. I can find out for sure and let you know in the evening since I work at a mall and theres a virgin kiosk :)

7. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

Thanks

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

aight sorry for the wait, just got home from work.

anyways I went to the virgin kiosk and asked directly "when I purchase an iphone 4 from you guys, do I have to get a data plan or can I just use a voice plan?"

he said that you have to get a data plan, and that its not in their control because apple designed the device to work with data flow so its them that need people to use data plans (yes this is what he actually said lol.)

also he said you can opt out of using a data plan but it would cost like $200-300.

I'm not sure if everything he said may have been true (he might have thought i was trying to buy), but im not sure they'd force you to get a data plan since you're not actually on a term contract with them (i asked to make sure).

Anyways, he mightve just been trying to push a sale, so you should try to talk to other reps and negociate a bit, maybe theyll let you take just the voice plan.

good luck

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

oh he also said that in 2011 virgin will be unlocking phones as well.

since you're not on contract, you just gotta pay off the phone then you'll be able to get it unlocked

like 10-15% of your bill goes towards paying off the phone so should be around $100 a year, since the super tab is $450, it would take a while to pay off this way. or you can just pay them a lump sum upfront to leave and have an unlocked phone

10. walie macrumors 6502a

So you want an iphone, but you're not willing to pay for the full use of it

nice logic

11. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Skip Virgin. Their online usage stats are terrible (took weeks and weeks to be set-up), and worse of all, the billing is BY THE MINUTE!!! I read through the terms and never saw that massive caveat.

I cancelled my account after one month, yet last week, they send me a bill for more than 3 months of unpaid service. :rolleyes: They ain't getting a dime from me.

Virgin might be good for prepaid, but for smartphones, the company is an utter joke.

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I've encountered several imbeciles on Craigslist who offered $159 (16Gb contract price) for an iPhone 4. The morons spewed some vehemence about how sellers were ripping off buyers because they paid "only" $159 for their phones on contract. :D Some people, like diseased animals, need to be put down...but without the humaneness that we afford to our furry friends.

13. patchouli macrumors member

From what I have seen in looking at the different providers (in Ontario), when you purch a subsidized iphone, you must sign up for a minimum package for 3 years (like at least $50/month package). Why would you expect to get your phone for something like a quarter of the price, AND not to have to sign up for an expensive monthly plan?? If you OWNED the phone, ie paid for it outright, then that is a different story.

14. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

They're so stubborn those phone companies, They're forcing me into a blackberry or android. I don't even know why $10/month is such a big deal to me.

15. patchouli macrumors member

One time I bought a used Blackberry from a private seller, but I did not want the data part, I just wanted it for a 'push-to-talk' and it was a really good price. I took it to Telus to sign it up and they said I HAD to get a data plan since I had a Blackberry.
    I balked and then a manager told me to bring the phone back after a few days (like 14 I think), and he would just change the sim card to trick the system into thinking I switched to a non-Blackberry phone, and he would take off the data part of the plan at the same time.

That was great.. but the difference was that I owned the phone outright already, before entering the store, and didn't have to be on a contract. When you're getting subsidized, you are in effect paying for the phone over the contracted period instead of up front. Works out great if you know you want to be locked in for that period of time, not so good if you don't.

Seems we can't have our cake and eat it too.