iPhone on your Mac (aspen simulator)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Machorror, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Machorror macrumors newbie

Machorror

I made this forum for one reason:
    Does anyone know how you can get more of the real iphone/ipod touch applications onto the aspen simulator.
    How to get aspen simulator:
    download SDK.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

no idea... may have to use Independence to get them off the phone?!

cant help tho...

3. mike200015 macrumors newbie

Actually I was browsing through the SDK folders, and I found a folder called Applications, containing all the iPhone apps, plus the AppStore. The only thing is I dont know how to get them onto the iPhone simulator.

The folder is in: Developer/Platforms/Aspen.platform/Developer/SDKs/Aspen1.2.sdk/Applications

4. delaneyrm macrumors newbie

Open one of the projects with Xcode 3.1, then Build and Go. The active SDK should already be the Aspen simulator, so it will open that and show the iPhone simulator with the running project.

As you build more iPhone projects the simulated iPhone remembers all of them, even though their Xcode projects have been closed! My problem is how do you remove unwanted applications from the simulated iPhone.

Bob

5. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

The same way you remove webclips. You click and hold on the app icon and they start to wiggle, then hit the x button.

6. mike200015 macrumors newbie

Were you able to open any of the apps in the /SDKs/Aspen1.2.sdk/Applications folder? I tried opening them with Xcode 3.1 and other stuff but doesn't work.

7. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I was not able to. Am I missing something here?

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i tried to open it and it says it was not supported on this architecture

9. delaneyrm macrumors newbie

I haven't tried any of those projects. The two I've tried so far can be downloaded from:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/index.action

Both HelloWorldClassic and TheElements (which is no longer listed) worked for me.

You do have to be a registered iPhone developer to use this page.

Bob

10. delaneyrm macrumors newbie

Xcode iPhone projects appear to work fine in putting applications on the simulated iPhone. But the above mentioned applications don't seem to work. I tried dragging one of them onto the simulated iPhone and got the iPhone message:

Unsupported URL
    This URL wasn't loaded:
    file://localhost/Developer/Platforms/Aspen.platform/Developer/SDKs/Aspen1.2.sdk/Applications/DemoApp

Dismiss (a button)

Maybe this is Apple's protection so a real iPhone can't download an application other than from iTunes?

Bob

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I downloaded TheElements last night. I wonder if they're going to update it?

Yes, you need to be Registered (free registration) in order to download anything. I had to log in to get it.

I started watching the videos last night. I'm in between projects here at work, so I started printing some of the documentation to read. I really need a Macbook or something so I can do this stuff at work...

12. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i downloaded lunar lander but it says it cant be run and i have to change my output to the iphone. so does this mean i would have to pay for the 99 dollar thing to be able to actually plug my phone in and run this app?

13. mike200015 macrumors newbie

Apparently the Applications in the SDK folder are compiled for the ARM processor (ie. the iPhone). So those apps can only run on a real iphone, and only with version 1.2. I wonder if they will work on the iPod touch, so that you don't have to pay for the update to get the extra apps + appstore. Anyone have an idea how you would transfer them to an iphone/ipod touch?

14. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There was some info on one of the blogs that said your phone would be tied to the development environment. I assume so you can't distribute applications on your own...

Yes, you need the $99 license to be able to transfer to your real iPhone.