iPhone ONLY recognised by iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deedeetee, Apr 27, 2010.

1. deedeetee macrumors newbie

My iPhone 3G is being recognised perfectly happily by iTunes, but absolutely nothing else. It doesn't appear in Finder and doesn't open iPhoto when I plug it in, so I can back up my photos.

I've tried restarting both the Mac (which is running Snow Leopard) and the iPhone. I've tried several cables. The result is always the same. iTunes spots the iPhone (it did use to automatically open iTunes, but I stopped that) and nothing else. No icon on the desktop, no appearance in Finder and won't show in any searches I do.

How can I fix this, and start backing up photos again?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Have you saved any pictures in your Camera Roll from the web, email, or from an MMS? If so, delete those and try again.

3. deedeetee thread starter macrumors newbie

But having photos and pictures from the web, etc, hasn't affected the process before, why is it doing it now? I'd rather not delete stuff, unless I know for sure that it will fix the problem and why it will fix the problem.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just letting you know how some have fixed the problem. It seems the directory gets corrupted somehow by those files.

5. deedeetee thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm...
    I've tried that and also deleted pictures that I'd created using other apps and it's still not being recognised. Damn thing.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could try reinstalling iTunes.

7. deedeetee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, just re-installed it again.

I might just give up and hope that OS 4 fixes this...

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-