iPhone only turns on when charging

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Slip11, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Slip11 macrumors newbie

Just a while ago, I dropped my iPhone off my bed and it hit the ground pretty hard. It had the otter box on it, but it's still pretty messed up.

It only turns on when it's charging, it says it's 7:01 on dec. 31, it says it's at 100% battery power (it's not), and it doesnt have service.

What should i do about this? Can i fix it myself? Do i have to take it to an apple store? Or is it broken forever?

EDIT: I just got a message on it that says it neds restored. How do i do that? Will it fix it?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Have you tried resetting the phone? Have you tried plugging it into a computer and launching iTunes to see if it shows up?

3. Slip11 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I havnt done either. But i'm in the process of seeing if it shows up on itunes, and I'm gonna try to restore it. If that doesnt work, I'll reset it and see where that takes me.

Is this a problem that's common when iPods are dropped?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. Slip11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I'm afraid of. Will I be able to fix that myself?

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I recommend trying to reset it before restoring it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it, if you're still under warranty bring it to Apple and they should replace it.
    If not who knows what component got broken or damaged in there.

8. PacketPaul macrumors newbie

I'm surprised a phone being dropped from the height of a bed with an Otter Box case will have any damage at all. My guess is the phone was either damaged from an earlier fall or it is a defect in manufacturing.