iPhone only works when in wall charge and i need to sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by askfareed, Aug 20, 2010.

1. askfareed macrumors member

Basically my nephew got my iPhone 4 and dropped it in water, so it is water damaged. I put in a bowl of rice for about 5 days and now it turns on but only when plugged into the wall charger. I can't use the bluetooth, wifi and any sim cards because all that hardware has been damaged when it got water damaged. The phone only turns on when i put it in the wall charger, when i connect it through usb to my computer it can't turn on. Now i need the photo's that are on my iPhone, i would also like to be able to sync it, but the photo's are a necessity. Is there any solution?

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Have you tried a dock with a USB and DC power adapter?

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I like this idea.

Failing that, you can e-mail yourself the photos. You can only send 2 or 3 at a time, I think, so that would take awhile.

4. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

i tried a dock, i don't think it's an official one, but i don't have a dc cable for it, would it go in the line out hole?

Also i can't email it because wifi doesn't work and neither does any sim card.

I also have this: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TS815LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=MTA4MzkyMjY

and attached this to my iphone and then a usb through it but that didn't work, because this can't power it u either.

here's what it looks like at the back of the dock:
    [​IMG]

5. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

6. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Plug it into the wall and email the pictures to yourself?

7. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

As i have said several times before, the wifi, bluetooth and sim card slot all don't work. So there is no way at all of me emailing it.

8. dark55 macrumors member

When was the last time you synced with your computer? Photos on the camera roll are stored in the backup that iTunes creates.

EDIT: Just thought of this. If you've taken photos since you last backed up your iPhone, you can try cleaning the contacts on the dock connector of your iPhone with CLR or something similar. The data contacts might have corroded or have some gunk on them that prevents them from transferring data. Not sure how you'd do it though, maybe a q-tip.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Maybe apple support can give better advice. I don't know of any way you could transfer pictures if neither USB nor a dock works.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

e-mail each picture to yourself ,that's your only option

apple doesn't make a cable that splits the data + data - lines from the power+ power - lines

unless you are good with soldering you are SOL

11. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Did you try a powered USB hub? (one that has an ac adapter?) Also, macs have higher powered USB ports, if you haven't tried one already. You could also take the back cover off and try drying it out a bit more.

12. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

ok again i have to say, it is impossible for me to email them to myself, as the wifi, bluetooth and sim card do NOT work.

The photo's i want to sync are ones that have been taken after my last backup.

I just tried a powered ac usb hub and that didn't work either. I have tried it on several different macs.

So i think it is something to do with cleaning the contacts on the iPhone's dock connector.

Edt. Cleaning it didn't help, the headphone jack still works, will the ipod shuffle usb work? http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC003ZM/A

13. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

nope circuitry is completely different

sorry I didn't read that all your radios are dead

I doubt cleaning the contacts will do anything

after reading this thread a little closer it seems you are screwed

if it charges over Ac, but not over USB or a powered USB hub, then this means that there is probably a short in the data wires, and probably not something you can fix

14. Deeya macrumors member

My wife had the exact same problem, Apple was unable to do anything to recover the data from the phone. Restoring the device in DFU mode didn't resolve the radio issue.

If only one water damage indicator is tripped, they will replace the phone under warranty (at least, the apple store I went to said that, ymmv.)

15. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

so even if i used a ac powered dock i will still fail?

16. askfareed thread starter macrumors member

17. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

bumping threads is against forum rules

didn't you read my post

its not the power (+) power (-) that is shorting out

its the data (+) data (-) that is shorting out

in other words its not the power that's the problem, its the data

you are screwed