iphone onverizon with verizon sim chip

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ldefterryd11, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ldefterryd11 macrumors newbie

OK.... so my blackberry tour has a sim chip, that allows it to run on gsm networks around the world... could i possibly use that in an iphone? thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No
    Dont you think if it was possible people would be using iphones on verizon for the past 3 years?

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

In the USA you wouldn't be able to do anything with the Verizon network, since it's CDMA and an iPhone is GSM.

However, it's looking likely that Verizon will begin carrying an iPhone in about the fall of this year.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

not true! I know a regional manger for verizon that was on the conference call last november I think. verizon will never have the iPhone. they demanded that Apple "give" them the Apple Store!

personally I wish they would get it also. the will mean more iPhones for me to repair!

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Verizon iPhone in September - heard it from a guy that knows a guy that dates the sister of a guy that details Ivan Seidenberg's car.

You'll be swimming in iPhones to repair. Better start getting familiar with CDMA.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:)
    Love your sources...

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

;)

Likely far more reliable than any such strategic info that a Verizon "regional manager" would ever have...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you:D

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I may stand corrected.........they are going to start building the iPhones in September for a December release. it was on National News last night and they said Sprint was getting it but I did a little research and everything points at Verizon. I really hope it is the big V cause that just means more $ for me! :D

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

the funny thing is your source may be better than my source!!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is a SIM for roaming internationally because Vodafone owns a chunk of Verizon Wireless. In the US, Verizon is 100% CDMA, which means it won't even work as I doubt Verizon has any roam agreements with GSM providers in the United States.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Verizon SIM in question, is actually for Vodaphone (who owns 45% of Verizon Wireless), that is how you get GSM service elsewhere in the world. However, there are no Vodaphone connections in the US, so you would end up roaming on at&t or T-Mobile, who have likely blocked the usage of those chips, because Verizon/Vodaphone has asked them to, to prevent people from using the GSM feature within the US. Depending on the model, and your contract status, the device can be SIM unlocked to use any SIM in it, so you could take a Verizon/Sprint BB to at&t to T-Mobile, but you could not use that SIM in the US (or Canada).

EDIT: Verizon does have some GSM roaming agreements in the US and Canada, because the companies that formed Verizon Wireless had small numbers of GSM subscribers, most of whom have been upgraded, but there are still some people who have their early GSM devices.

TEG