Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If someone you know has an iPhone, you can list it as such in your contacts.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
Not that it matters to me but it doesn't seem to work under Exchange. I'm using Gmail exchange and the option isn't there but if I store a contact on my phones contact list it'll be there.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Not that it matters to me but it doesn't seem to work under Exchange. I'm using Gmail exchange and the option isn't there but if I store a contact on my phones contact list it'll be there.

Gmail's Exchange/ActiveSync isn't fully compatible. There are quite a few inconsistencies including what you found. With iCloud you should see the iPhone option and not have some of the inconsistencies and restrictions that using Gmail's Exchange imposes.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Correct. Let's say "John Appleseed" has an iPhone and you know this when entering his number. You'll have the option to list it as 'iPhone' instead of 'Mobile'.

Wonder.. whats the point of doing this, does it matter which phone the other person has and BTW iphone is also a mobile

Prob. makes sense with imessage but still when you want to send a message there is no easy way to know if other person has iphone or not...

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Wonder.. whats the point of doing this, does it matter which phone the other person has and BTW iphone is also a mobile

Prob. makes sense with imessage but still when you want to send a message there is no easy way to know if other person has iphone or not...

It has nothing to do with iMessage, or anything else at all. It's just a way to customize your address book.

If you want to know if a person has an iPhone, begin composing a text to them...if their name turns blue, they have an iPhone (with 5.0 or higher)

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
Gmail's Exchange/ActiveSync isn't fully compatible. There are quite a few inconsistencies including what you found. With iCloud you should see the iPhone option and not have some of the inconsistencies and restrictions that using Gmail's Exchange imposes.

Thank you for the heads up on that. Just in case I decide to make the switch over to iCloud mail some day :)

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I REALLY recommend using iCloud email/contacts/calendar. I had Gmail/Google for email/contacts/calendar when iCloud was introduced. The incompatabilities were enough (especially with contact syncing) that, when my Google calendar came up totally blank, I decided to put in the time to switch. Haven't had any problems since. Plus, the interface works so smoothly - PITA but worth the effort.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I REALLY recommend using iCloud email/contacts/calendar. I had Gmail/Google for email/contacts/calendar when iCloud was introduced. The incompatabilities were enough (especially with contact syncing) that, when my Google calendar came up totally blank, I decided to put in the time to switch. Haven't had any problems since. Plus, the interface works so smoothly - PITA but worth the effort.

I haven't had any issues with Gmail. Just the lack of features for iOS is frustrating. But I've learned to live with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.