Iphone or Bold for me??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 28, 2008.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Hello all. I'm new here and would love some advice. I'm a huge Apple fanatic, but I've been on the side of Blackberry instead of iPhone. Now I have the option of switching. The 2 features that are really holding me back from switching to the iPhone are voice dialing (like the blackberry where you don't have to launch an app, but just hit the call button and say a name), and "turn by turn" GPS (not google maps which I know quite well). What apps are available for this ........help convince me to switch to Apple!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

None, aaaand none. Get whichever you think has the most potential to be upgraded and expanded with software.

3. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Agreed, the Bold might have the features you need right now, but the iPhone will be updated and more apps will come out. The bold, you'll probably keep for a year and then upgrade, the iPhone you'll be able to keep for 2 years and feel like you constantly have a upgrading and new phone. Personally, I would wait til MWSF and see what happens then make your decision. Although I cannot give you apps that would solve your issues, I can tell you that most likely more apps will come out that will fix the issues and also that Google Maps works great, its just not a talking turn by turn. Also, if you absolutely need voice dailing, I would go with SayWho?. Hope I helped even a little bit.

4. jdk2 macrumors newbie

If you're going to be with AT&T, you'll have to sign a two year contract. Currently, the Bold supports both of the features holding you back from getting the iPhone.

I'm not optimistic that Apple is going to provide any update that allows voice assisted turn-by-turn directions nor are they going to allow voice activated dialing like what's available in the Bold anytime soon. This phone has been on the market for well over two years and updates trickle out of Cupertino.

If you need those features, and don't mind paying more for the Bold, Blackberry is definitely the way to go at this juncture.

5. Mary1970 macrumors newbie

Keyboard really matters when you spend hours with emails. Bold's great.

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i have to spend hours of email on my iPhone? i find it actually easier on my fingers cuz its not putting pressure on buttons, otherwise i used to get "blackberry thumbs" after a while.

7. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I very briefly switched from the iPhone to the Bold. I loved the Bold but the browser, syncing with my Mac, and email just didn't work well for me. The browser renders most pages badly especially if they use java script. HTML emails look equally horrible. If you tend to use your phone more for voice over data the Bold definitely has superior sound/speaker quality.

Also, in response to the post regarding a keyboard over touch screen.. I can type faster on the iPhone than on a Blackberry. My thumbs were literally stiff and aching after a couple of hours of using the Blackberry which I have never experienced with an iPhone.

8. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

jdk2, I'm getting it outright so no 2 year contract. I currently have a Curve, and I've been on the fence between these two phones for a while now (as I suspect many have). I'm not really that good with the touchscreen typing as much as I am with the Blackberry's keyboard. I've read all of the reviews, listened to all of the podcasts and know many users of both phones. My conclusion is that the iphone is 75% fun and 25% business and the Bold is just the opposite. If I could just have a phone that was as fun as the iPhone and as "communication friendly" as the Bold, I would be one happy camper! Honestly the thing that really held me back initially from the iPhone was just no voice dialing. How can my old cheap razor have it and not an iPhone??!! And I travel a lot, so a program like Telenav is huge for me. Both phones are good choices, but until I see the original 2 things built into the iPhone, I'll probably go with a Bold, but still wavering a bit on my decision!

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

This is a Mac-fanatic forum. So obviously everyone will say iPhone. If you go over to a BB forum they will all say iPhone sucks.

They're both excellent phones with pros and cons. Can't really go wrong either way.